ATC on Maryland Aviation Admin system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Listened to the MAA (BWI Airport -> http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4790I) system this evening for the first time in a while -- noticed talkgroup 67 active with air traffic control activity (surely a patch). However, it almost sounded like a scanner patch with activity from multiple ATC channels....

So far seems to be a scan of:
119.0 Class B Appr
119.4 BWIMS - Monitor South
119.7 Class B Appr
121.9 Ground
124.55 Class B Appr
128.7 Class B Appr

Anyone else been listening to this and know what it really is and/or how long it's been active on TG 67?

Last edited:

ocguard

Just throwing this idea out there: some airport fire departments have airband radios in their crash rigs and command vehicles so they can monitor incoming trouble flights directly. Perhaps, to avoid having to install AM radios in the fire apparatus, they've set up a patch. The patch may only be active if a TRS radio is affiliated with that talk group. That would explain it's intermittent-ness.

troymail

Silent Key
Possible.

We see that on the AA County system - when a county unit switches to EMRC or Mutual aid, the patches kick in long enough to support the need and release when they are done (conserves system frequencies for other uses when these TGs are no actually being used).

However, in this case, the input sounds like a scanner that is jumping from channel to channel (as I described above). I'ts not locked into - say - BWI ground control, etc.

I think I heard an "Alert One" yesterday and watched to see if thee was some sort of sync to the activity on TG 67 but I didn't notice anything obvious.

It could also be (and is more likely) some type of testing and/or configuration going on. It's been a while but in the past AA County used to play a recording of a presentation - I can only assume to have constant activity on a system frequency to perform some testing and/or calibration.

All are possibilities --

Status
Not open for further replies.