athens county

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5die

I also had a hand in that. I came to New Marshfield somewhere around 1987. Joined the fire department when they only had one pumper, and that was a 30+ year old truck. Communications were alert by telephone and some used CB radios. We put in a base 46 MHz radio and put up a tower. I did the application for the first radio license. Bought a few pagers and put a tone board in the radio and we were on the air. However due to the location of the station and tower at that time about 60% of the township was in a dead zone as far as pagers actually alerting. Several times I remember asking Athens Fire to repeat our dispatch for the guys who could not hear our radio. But somehow, it worked.

I lived about two miles from the station. I can remember a station way over in West Virginia on the same frequency that was stronger than our base at times.

Thanks for all the information. I returned to Indiana in 1990 but still like to monitor the old 46.42 channel just to see what I can hear. No low band around here but do hear some skip at times. Doubt I'll ever go back to Athens as no family lives there anymore. Made some good friends and have some great memories. Do I miss it? You bet I do!

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
If you're hearing someone out of West Virginia on 46.42 MHz, its probably Pendleton County. They are located on the far eastern border with Virginia. There are also a few licensees from Hardy County and Hampshire County in there too. I've been to Pendleton County once. God's Country doesn't quite describe it. A countywide population of less than 8,000 souls (about 12 people per square mile) and the highest mountaintop in West Virginia cresting at almost 4,900 feet above sea level.

There's the problem. Their VHF Low system is on top of one of those monster hilltops -- probably to cover the rough terrain and the George Washington and Monongahela National Forests. By comparison, the average height above mean sea lavel in Athens County Ohio is 700-1000 feet, depending on the location. Pendleton's antenna tip is about a half a mile higher than the tallest tower in Athens County. I'd venture to say Pendleton County's low band system can be received by base stations in a six or seven state area on a good day.

Rick, W8UU

firecatohio

Ok now I have a new issue.. looking for pager tone codes, got my own pager to set up, and want to seet my radio with pageout too.. plus the new uniden scanner I boughtyou can set up with pageout.. just need codes for athens county..

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ok now I have a new issue.. looking for pager tone codes, got my own pager to set up, and want to seet my radio with pageout too.. plus the new uniden scanner I boughtyou can set up with pageout.. just need codes for athens county..

Nobody has ever entered a list of Athens Co pager tones to the RR Wiki, so we have nothing on file for you to reference. Of course, there may be some Athens Co listener who may respond with a list for you... hard to tell.

If you want/need pager tones and can't find them anywhere, you might want to consider installing TwoToneDetect and use it to determine what pager tones are being used by the various FDs in your county.

TwoToneDetect - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

firecatohio

I figured someone might know.. I got hocking and Fairfield off of here.. but like you said nobody is keeping up Athens county.. heck nobody even does live audio...

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I figured someone might know.. I got hocking and Fairfield off of here.. but like you said nobody is keeping up Athens county.. heck nobody even does live audio...

That's unfortunate. Athens Co would be so easy to feed, from the standpoint of technical requirements. No digital scanner required; everything on repeaters. If I lived down there, I'd be streaming it.

That link to TwoToneDetect probably won't be of use to you. I thought it actually would determine the tones if you wanted it to, but I'm not sure it does that. I think it will just allow you to detect known tones and then act upon them [such as send an email or page when one is set off]. I dont' think it allows you to discover the tones. I don't remember. It's been a long time since I tried it out.

Mike

firecatohio

It is unfortunate its not streamed.. I work allover the state and be nice to hear what I'm missing while I'm out and about...

quarterwave

Contact a member of a VFD down there and see if they would stream it from the FD or home themselves....could be useful for them too!

codblackops2

Premium Subscriber
We looked into it for Athens/hocking county fire/ems.. doesn't it cost money to stream?

No it does not cost you to stream. Just need a good 24 hour feed and it has to be approved. Takes about 10 mintues to go through the app and your done and ready

quarterwave

Yeah, just a scanner, PC and even just a light duty DSL internet connection will work. It is easy, I used to to the one local to me, then I passed it off to another guy who wanted to do it, he had a digital radio, so we could get the local PD and FD when they went to MARCS as well as all the analog I had on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.