ATIS Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnavy1610

I am hoping that someone could provide picture of a ATIS antenna.
Are these antennas antennas unique in any way, or are they a normal dipole antenna used for Tower etc.?

Also, are they typically located at any particular place at an airport?

Many thanks in advance.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
Most of the ones i have seen are just 1/4 wave vhf verticals with 3 radials. Not very impressive, but they are probably fed with 5 watts, and provide adequate coverage. I have heard an atis out to 40-50 miles, but we were probably 8000 feet higher than the atis. Were you thinking of the VOR's. they provide bearing and directions for planes, and have a multitude of antennas. With the wonderful gps maps in planes today, even the VOR's are seeing alot less use.

CalebATC

All the AWOS antennas I have seen are just plain 1/4 waves. Nothing special!

I use a 1/4 wave at the shack here, works great! Better than the ST-2 or any other unity-gain antenna I have tried.

I don't really remember seeing any 1/4 wave ATIS antennas.... but don't hold me to that. ATIS antennas are 90% of the time located on top of the actual ATCT.

AWOS antennas are an almost bargain to be placed on the pole where the WX instruments are at for the AWOS site, which is usually at the center of the airport, or to the far, middle of the runway if at a two runway (one strip) airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.