Atlanta Area Interoperability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wcrock12

Just got curious about something! I bought an old EFJ P25 radio for amateur use and it came from Arizona as part of an interoperability solution. Since I live in north DeKalb county and am in shouting distance of 3 P25 public service systems, DeKalb County, Fulton County, and City of Atlanta, do all these guys respectively have an Interop channel programmed for one another? I haven't checked the frequencies in the database but I think they are all different! Just curious, I knew there was a big effort at standardization after 9/11.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
We currently have cross programmed mutual aid talkgroups on the various systems.

We are in the process of implementing an ISSI based solution that will create mutual aid talkgroups on participating member systems that will allow for wide area command and control communications across the region.

Most operations remain within a jurisdiction and mutual aid/automatic aid participate on the local jurisdictions' system through cross programmed talk groups when arriving on scene. In those cases where radios aren't cross programmed, at my agency we deploy our radio gateway and patch together disparate radio systems when requested.

Wcrock12

Thanks MTS2000des, I was just curious what happened when say a Brookhaven police office was after someone say on Peachtree and then crossed over into Buckhead which is ATL. I guess dispatchers would handle that communication or the officers could use cellphones in that case.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
A follow-up question...

What counties/systems are considered in the "Atlanta Metro Region" for mutual aid purposes?
Fulton County?
Atlanta?
North Fulton Regional Radio System Authority?
Clayton County?
Forest Park (in Clayton County)?
Cobb County?
Coweta County / Western Area WARRS System?
DeKalb County?
Fayette County?
Forsyth County?
Other Systems?

Also, any additional details on the Atlanta site of Cobb County, which usually handles the UASI talkgroups?

Just trying to understand how mutual aid situations/major events are handled from a radio perspective in the Metro ATL?

BTW-I wasn't here during Snowmaggedon 2014, so trying to gain some historical perspective as well.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
A follow-up question...

What counties/systems are considered in the "Atlanta Metro Region" for mutual aid purposes?
Fulton County?
Atlanta?
North Fulton Regional Radio System Authority?
Clayton County?
Forest Park (in Clayton County)?
Cobb County?
Coweta County / Western Area WARRS System?
DeKalb County?
Fayette County?
Forsyth County?
Other Systems?

Atlanta Regional Commission defines the metro Atlanta area as:
Cherokee, Cobb, Fulton, City of Atlanta, DeKalb, Douglas, Gwinnett, Henry, Rockdale Clayton and Fayette.

Mutual aid agreements are done on an agency by agency basis, usually with those adjacent jurisdictions but there are exceptions.

Also, any additional details on the Atlanta site of Cobb County, which usually handles the UASI talkgroups?

This site is owned by the ARC (formerly Atlanta area UASI) and is on 2 Peachtree. It and other UASI sites will be decommissioned very soon. The plan is to replace this with an ISSI based solution.

We have already demonstrated the viability of ISSI based automatic and manual roaming. More work will be done on refining this plan on the local and regional level.

There are many factors in making it work, until then, cross programming and sharing of access through IGA's and MOU's is the way interop gets done. And many of us have patching capability. Our agency owns two ICRI's. I will be deploying one this weekend for an event. :)

Just trying to understand how mutual aid situations/major events are handled from a radio perspective in the Metro ATL?

Currently, cross programming is the king of interop due to the disparate systems in place, and their geographic coverage limitations. Typically an automatic aid partner has across-programmed their automatic aid radio system and responds on that respective system.

One of our fire stations also respond via automatic aid to city calls. They have dual fire station alerting systems, and notify us they are out of service on a city call. They switch over to the CoA system and respond to the call.

This is usually how it's done just about everywhere in the metro area. Through cross programming, a user switches over to that jurisdictions radio system and becomes a part of the response.

In cases where one may not have access to the others' system, patching is also utilized. There also exists a network of simulcast 8-CALL and 8-TAC repeaters in the metro area (specifically in Cobb, Fulton and DeKalb) that can be utilized during a wide area event or for other interop needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.