Atlantic County EDACS to be phased out soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorola2935

IQ Lowered

I feel as if my IQ has been lowered by reading that article.... "P25 radios can talk across bands"

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Seems every article I read when a new radio system is being rolled out is filled with bad information. This one is pretty bad.

Anyone have a copy of this federal mandate?

There is none. The ONLY federal mandate for P25 is that it be used on 700 MHz interoperability channels, and that's it.

Otherwise, it's either a lie, a misunderstanding from an obfuscated fact, or poorly researched/unresearched reporting - or combination thereof.

I feel as if my IQ has been lowered by reading that article.... "P25 radios can talk across bands"

Wrongo! In fact, one of the FEMA independent study courses specifically teaches that P25 operation has no effect in disparate band environments and a UHF P25 user cannot speak with a VHF P25 user (even though they're both P25).

My head hurts with how factually inaccurate Mr. DeRosier's article is.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
The reporter most likely got that info from Vince Jones or someone on his staff without checking the facts.

But our government employees never lie to us, correct? ;)

Same thing happened when NBC10 reported when Camden County switched to their P25 system. The encryption was touted as a crime prevention tool. I almost threw up in my mouth.

Well, I'm a former government employee and I've always been a straight arrow. I can't say the same for the people who flew in the stratosphere, but for the most part, everyone I knew in my "circle" was on the level. It's those high-fliers that paint everyone in a bad light.

I value an informed public over one that's in the dark. Absent being able to hear things for themselves, they'll need to get that all after-the-fact from the news. But they'll never know when their media doesn't do the homework to understand the topic. This kid's a recent J-school grad. He's got his first real job since covering the sports beat for Penn State. If he can continue to make a living off the papers, he'll eventually learn to ask, "Who? What? Where? When? How? And, why?" instead of being spoon-fed the story and risk it coming out all jerky.

And, if the public can't hear things for themselves, reporters who ask the hard questions are all the more necessary.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I treat most news articles much the same as I treat poorly written fiction. They have much in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.