Attention: Volunteer fire fighters/reserve police officers/security guards, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

Been trying to keep up with this one, very interesting topic and a lot of good opinions. My take on it would be that if a VFF wanted to use a modified Ham radio (or a CCR for that matter) to monitor traffic, fine...but do not bring it to a scene, and do not be transmitting with it away from a scene under any circumstances below a life-and-death emergency. And not even then if you have a cell signal. If you find yourself being sent on an entry team and we haven't been able to scrounge a dependable i.e. actual commercial-grade Land Mobile H-T for you, I will borrow one from somebody who isn't doing anything requiring that lifeline and put it in your hand before you make entry. Or give you mine if I'm not the IC.

Funding is always an issue for volunteer departments and that is a whole another can of worms to be opened, but fish frys, chili suppers, and such have bought a lot of gear over the years. You find ways to make it happen and you learn to get the most bang for the buck, and (among other things) that having that "M" emblem on a radio is not necessary for it to work when needed.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Well, the easy solution is to not use a radio in an environment like that.
If that's not a workable solution, then pony up the bucks to have the right tools for the job.

For a long time the guys on the end of the hose didn't have a radio with them. It's been industry that has dictated that over the years. Who know what they'll be expected to carry with them 10 years from now. Probably a FirstNet tablet streaming live video out to IC.

Remember, radios don't put out fires. They are a handy tool, and in recent years are considered a life safety device, but fires were put out without radios for a long time.

I know our fire department worked around a lot of hazardous chemicals, so IS rated radios were their own internal requirement. All their radios, batteries, etc. were all IS rated. Then again this wasn't a volunteer company, and money was a bit easier to find.

Interesting conversation, though

With all due respect, mmckenna, that didn't address the question. Those are preventive measures.

It's been well-established in this forum that using a non-certified radio may cause the next Armageddon but I'm wondering how you might eliminate other possible sources of ignition...or can you?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
With all due respect, mmckenna, that didn't address the question. Those are preventive measures.

It's been well-established in this forum that using a non-certified radio may cause the next Armageddon but I'm wondering how you might eliminate other possible sources of ignition...or can you?

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you, just replying to the general thread.

Not being a fire fighter, I don't know the answer to that. I do know that when we've done bomb threat training, turning all radios off in a hundred yard radius is SOP. If a FF is in an atmosphere that is at risk for ignition, then it would seem to me that removing any/all sources of ignition would be in order, be it radio, cigar, stun gun, Tesla coil, novelty shock buzzer, etc.

I guess we could talk about using non-sparking tools as a good stand in for radios. If you've got a natural gas line leaking and the only way you can shut it off is with a steel wrench, do you use that wrench and hope it doesn't spark, or do you wait for the guy with the non-sparking tools? Replace "tool" with "radio" and it seems to be the same sort of question.

And, no, I don't know the answer. I can see where I'd make a different decision based on the immediate situation.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Not being a fire fighter, I don't know the answer to that. I do know that when we've done bomb threat training, turning all radios off in a hundred yard radius is SOP. If a FF is in an atmosphere that is at risk for ignition, then it would seem to me that removing any/all sources of ignition would be in order, be it radio, cigar, stun gun, Tesla coil, novelty shock buzzer, etc.

In the case of a bomb, it wasn't the spark from a radio that people were worried about. It was the RF. I used to teach bomb threat reactions to local businesses in and around Columbus. I used an old Motorola HT1000 and a fluorescent bulb. Keying up the radio would illuminate the bulb next to it. It was a great demonstration of the effects of RF.

SCPD

QRT
Quoting from KE 0 GXN ---
"Play/volunteer at your own risk I guess, but its one thing to risk your own life with non-compliant gear however, if an incident occurs and innocent lives are lost...well, what do you tell those folks families? Not to mention don't you think you owe to your own family to back alive?"
KE Zero sums up my whole point- though I doubt in realizing it.
In these rural communities, no one is 'Playing Firemen, Cops etc." These are people that have chosen to live off the path of protected society. My mountain town example is but one such community- like many others, isolated by _________ (fill in the blank) geography.
Is it reasonable for the tax payers of such a county with a total population barely that of a metropolitan subdivison-- to fund/staff a sub-station fire/police/rescue unit, an hour's drive from the nearest paved road? ....for the protection of but a handful of residents who choose to live out in the Styxx's?.. Of course it isn't.
"H*ll, if those yokels want Protection, let 'em pack up their turnip wagons and move into towne n' live like the rest of us civilised folk"
Well, they are hardly Yokels - they just don't want to live the 'civilised way.' They pay their taxes, and, true, they get (although abbreviated) county services-- if you consider it can take a sheriff's deputy 90 minutes to answer a call-- "service."
So what do you do?... Call 911 and twiddle your thumbs as your house burns, you baby goes into anaphylaxis, that weird dude has pulled a knife on the store owner?? Give me a break!
....You DO something. And as responsible citizens, you first TRY to call the higher authorities- then you ACT-- these aren't people playing suburban rescue wanabee's, or vigilantes- whatever- They are calm rational people that know they represent the only thin line between sanity and chaos.
So they work closely with their Sheriff, they take courses and practice with the county and Forest Service fire people, they become EMT's and First Respond'rs- they operate the mechanisms of village governance unpaid (ie:"volunteers')... They take charge where there is no "State", no "County," until State/County show up.... There is no one else to step in during an emergency.
Going back to the original quote:
"...... if an incident occurs and innocent lives are lost...well, what do you tell those folks families? Not to mention don't you think you owe to your own family to back alive?"
(and I am hardly picking on you KE Zero...... :) )
What DO you tell them if you just stood there like a moon-faced cow, and did nothing? This is the West--these folks (me too) don't just stand by and do nothing. And if someone gets hurt ?.. well, how much less would be the life long pain of remorse felt if they stood there like a bunch of sheep, waiting for the county fire crew an hour away; mean while watching some child burns to death.
So they may have some old equipment, and maybe they don't play by big city rules- but we don't come blubbering and complaining to the 'authorities' for things that can't be given, ...but we can handle themselves. I challenge anyone that doubts this is still alive in America, to visit the Intermountain West, go into the bush of Alaska, and see it for themselves. I know those that catch this Spirit are never the same afterwards.
Sorry Guys, I'll get off my Soap Box... I think this about all I have to say here ....Cheers! :)
(exits stage Right)
We visited that really off-the-grid, partial ghost town this evening --a collection of buildings, high above treeline--- scatter'd about a vast amphitheatre formed by 13,000 mountains. It s strictly a summer colony- with but a handful of colourful souls living there 'until the snow flies' and the road closes. Step back to a West of the late 19th century....... :)
We met a property owner- 'resident' is kind'a unfair since no one resides there but a few summer months. He graciously told us somethings about life above timberline.
"What do you do if there is a fire?" my friend asked
"Well M'am, we been lucky... never had one."
"I guess we'd use those" he continued, pointing to a row of old painted leather buckets lining the porch of the one room school house.
".....Form an old fashion bucket brigade, I guess... if we are sober enough"...he laff'd as he walked off.
My friend said softly, out of his hearing:
"You should have asked him Lauri, if those buckets have current certifications"
:)
..........................CF

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
In the case of a bomb, it wasn't the spark from a radio that people were worried about. It was the RF. I used to teach bomb threat reactions to local businesses in and around Columbus. I used an old Motorola HT1000 and a fluorescent bulb. Keying up the radio would illuminate the bulb next to it. It was a great demonstration of the effects of RF.

Yeah, that I understand. My point was each agency will likely have their own procedures they follow.
Some of those procedures are based off industry standards, regulations, etc. Some are based off learning the hard way.
Sometimes it's good to learn from others mistakes, even if someone thinks it'll never happen to them.

RFI-EMI-GUY

(snip)
We visited that really off-the-grid, partial ghost town this evening --a collection of buildings, high above treeline--- scatter'd about a vast amphitheatre formed by 13,000 mountains. It s strictly a summer colony- with but a handful of colourful souls living there 'until the snow flies' and the road closes. Step back to a West of the late 19th century....... :)
We met a property owner- 'resident' is kind'a unfair since no one resides there but a few summer months. He graciously told us somethings about life above timberline.
"I guess we'd use those" he continued, pointing to a row of old painted leather buckets lining the porch of the one room school house.
".....Form an old fashion bucket brigade, I guess... if we are sober enough"...he laff'd as he walked off.

CF I am trying to recall something from about 1974 ish, my first trip to Colorado. In a 1973 VW Karmann Ghia Convertable and my $75 of savings. First lets say if you can remember living in the 70's you didn't really live in the 70's.

Anywho I had an interesting near death experience in a town (tourists trap) that I can't remember. I thought it was Leadville, maybe not, but I will lay it out. There was not much there but an L shaped single story building the right 1/2 of which was an Olde Tyme Sheriffs office/jail with animatronic inmates on the roof. At least they might have been animatronic, (Hunter S. Thompson, help me on this) and they were complete with ball and chain. I though it might be cool to go to the roof and have a photo op.........

sloop

It has been interesting reading this post. Now for a few comments from a vol. firefighter. I have been a firefighter, EMT, and HazMat for almost 30 years. I live in a rural setting and the fire dept. is totally volunteer. We started out with 1 used truck in 1956, today we have 6 trucks, brush gator, and a fire boat. Chicken BBQ's, limited tax money, but most of all GRANTS have paid for out equipment. I do not understand why everyone hinks that everyone must have a HT. Not every firefighter needs a HT, all they need is a pager to be notified on. Our county communications center can now send pages out over your personal cell phone. Only the officers, first responders need HT's. We have 2 extra radios on each truck that can be used and any firefighter that wants his own personal radio may buy one, but needs the chief's permission to have it programmed or use it. I understand both sides of the argument on communications because I have been there, but I do not want my life to be dependent (or any one else) on a radio that is not built to take the abuse that our radios must take. High temperatures, moisture, shock are but a few of the types of environment that they must endure without malfunction. Yes all radios may break, but I will put my certified radio (cost me $200 new) against any ham or CCR for durability in any of the events that I have been in. Remember you get what you pay for!

KE0GXN

Quoting from KE 0 GXN ---
"Play/volunteer at your own risk I guess, but its one thing to risk your own life with non-compliant gear however, if an incident occurs and innocent lives are lost...well, what do you tell those folks families? Not to mention don't you think you owe to your own family to back alive?"
KE Zero sums up my whole point- though I doubt in realizing it.
In these rural communities, no one is 'Playing Firemen, Cops etc." These are people that have chosen to live off the path of protected society. My mountain town example is but one such community- like many others, isolated by _________ (fill in the blank) geography.
Is it reasonable for the tax payers of such a county with a total population barely that of a metropolitan subdivison-- to fund/staff a sub-station fire/police/rescue unit, an hour's drive from the nearest paved road? ....for the protection of but a handful of residents who choose to live out in the Styxx's?.. Of course it isn't.
"H*ll, if those yokels want Protection, let 'em pack up their turnip wagons and move into towne n' live like the rest of us civilised folk"
Well, they are hardly Yokels - they just don't want to live the 'civilised way.' They pay their taxes, and, true, they get (although abbreviated) county services-- if you consider it can take a sheriff's deputy 90 minutes to answer a call-- "service."
So what do you do?... Call 911 and twiddle your thumbs as your house burns, you baby goes into anaphylaxis, that weird dude has pulled a knife on the store owner?? Give me a break!
....You DO something. And as responsible citizens, you first TRY to call the higher authorities- then you ACT-- these aren't people playing suburban rescue wanabee's, or vigilantes- whatever- They are calm rational people that know they represent the only thin line between sanity and chaos.
So they work closely with their Sheriff, they take courses and practice with the county and Forest Service fire people, they become EMT's and First Respond'rs- they operate the mechanisms of village governance unpaid (ie:"volunteers')... They take charge where there is no "State", no "County," until State/County show up.... There is no one else to step in during an emergency.
Going back to the original quote:
"...... if an incident occurs and innocent lives are lost...well, what do you tell those folks families? Not to mention don't you think you owe to your own family to back alive?"
(and I am hardly picking on you KE Zero...... :) )
What DO you tell them if you just stood there like a moon-faced cow, and did nothing? This is the West--these folks (me too) don't just stand by and do nothing. And if someone gets hurt ?.. well, how much less would be the life long pain of remorse felt if they stood there like a bunch of sheep, waiting for the county fire crew an hour away; mean while watching some child burns to death.
So they may have some old equipment, and maybe they don't play by big city rules- but we don't come blubbering and complaining to the 'authorities' for things that can't be given, ...but we can handle themselves. I challenge anyone that doubts this is still alive in America, to visit the Intermountain West, go into the bush of Alaska, and see it for themselves. I know those that catch this Spirit are never the same afterwards.
Sorry Guys, I'll get off my Soap Box... I think this about all I have to say here ....Cheers! :)
(exits stage Right)

My post was meant only towards the sheriffs, county fire crews, organized first reponders entities, etc... If you and your neighbors , i.e. regular civilian Joe/Jane want to help eachother out in an emergency, well obviously that would be a whole different ballgame.

However, your sheriff, county fire crew (paid or volunteer) should not be using non-compliant/uncertified gear. Just my opinion, through many years of experience in both urban and rural settings.

reedeb

I admit just ONCE my HAM radio was used for the fire dept. I usually just monitored with it BUT 1 day I was returning from a dealer with my Fire Chief we were toned out for a large woods fire. His HT wasn't working. He asked if my radio could transmit and I said YUP, NOT legal but it can. He grabbed the mike and called Dispatch and told them WHO and what he wanted and we were going down the freeway fast. We arrived at the fire ahead of the first unit and he used my radio to direct them in till he got another HT from another rig.

Was it illegal ? YUP!! Was it a emergency?? More then likely I would say, YUP Did it harm anyone? NOT to my knowledge.

I am NOT saying it is OK BUT if it saves a life and I lose my license then SO be it.

SCPD

QRT
RFI-EMI Guy.... big smiles ! :)
Ah !, Hunter Thompson.... He still casts quite a legend out here. If my writings reflect something of his philosophy its was by no mistake... He, Edward Abbey... and a host of others' influences are all in there.....** :)
I am going to assume the trailing off of what happen'd during the photo excursion to that roof top shortly became the brush with death... Say no more. I think we all have a collection of those we file away, embarrassed to ever mention in polite society :)
If it was Leadville, that building doesn't ring any bells... Does St. Elmo ?
Oh boy, this is getting off track !
I'll add this radio related closing---
That off-the-grid semi ghost town, as I said, is really cut off communications- wise. Even low band VHF won't penetrate into that amphitheatre- so as I had last remember'd it , they had a state supplied HF sideband radio that operated in the 2MHz range.... for emergencies.
Yesterday I looked for the terminated long wire antenna that used to be strung from the school house- but it was gone.
"That came down a few winters ago" was the explanation.
"It was worthless. The only people on the other end of that wire were some government squirrels in Denver. They hardly ever answer'd us.... it is no loss"

.............................CF
** except the drugs

RFI-EMI-GUY

RFI-EMI Guy.... big smiles ! :)
Ah !, Hunter Thompson.... He still casts quite a legend out here. If my writings reflect something of his philosophy its was by no mistake... He, Edward Abbey... and a host of others' influences are all in there.....** :)
I am going to assume the trailing off of what happen'd during the photo excursion to that roof top shortly became the brush with death... Say no more. I think we all have a collection of those we file away, embarrassed to ever mention in polite society :)
If it was Leadville, that building doesn't ring any bells... Does St. Elmo ?
Oh boy, this is getting off track !
I'll add this radio related closing---
That off-the-grid semi ghost town, as I said, is really cut off communications- wise. Even low band VHF won't penetrate into that amphitheatre- so as I had last remember'd it , they had a state supplied HF sideband radio that operated in the 2MHz range.... for emergencies.
Yesterday I looked for the terminated long wire antenna that used to be strung from the school house- but it was gone.
"That came down a few winters ago" was the explanation.
"It was worthless. The only people on the other end of that wire were some government squirrels in Denver. They hardly ever answer'd us.... it is no loss"

.............................CF
** except the drugs

........ The Sheriff stepped out brandishing and firing his six shooter in my general direction! If I recall the building was cut into a small hill at the rear so it was more like strolling to the facade where the "Convicts" were arranged, rather than climbing a ladder (outright trespass) .

This definitely rings of Hunter S. Thompson!

I could not watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. In my opinion, that movie should be played in High School Auditoriums as an anti drug message.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
To the gentleman that said his Johnson PPL's were legal, you should check on the requirement to narrowband, they are not legal now, even though I'm sure they work.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
To the gentleman that said his Johnson PPL's were legal, you should check on the requirement to narrowband, they are not legal now, even though I'm sure they work.

Was that old stuff grandfathered in?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber

RFI-EMI-GUY

Was that old stuff grandfathered in?

With very few exceptions (FCC Waiver required) NO wide band only radio equipment would be "grandfathered in" on Part 90 frequencies. Notable exceptions are public safety licensees in "T" band 470-512 MHz, where the FCC relaxed the requirement because those licensees are further impacted by TV spectrum reallocation and auctions. The FCC did not see the sense in narrowbanding those allocations only to pull the rug out from under them a few years later.

This from my website:

In a rulemaking with its origin dating back to 1995, the FCC mandated a process called "Refarming" which is intended to increase the number of assignable channels within the VHF 150-174 MHz and the UHF
421-512 MHz bands. As a result, the FCC has ruled that licensees of Part 90 radio systems within those
bands are subject to the following FCC mandates:

On or before January 1, 2011:

No applications for new systems or modification applications that expand the authorized contour of an
existing system operating at greater than 12.5 kHz equivalent spectrum efficiency will be accepted.

On or before January 1, 2013:

Radio systems must operate in 12.5 kHz equivalent spectrum efficiency or better.

Mobile data systems will require data efficiency of 4800 bps for a 6.25 kHz channel, or 9600 bps for a
12.5 kHz narrowband channel.

On January 1, 2013, licensees must have ceased wideband operation of their systems and must convert
licenses to narrowband emission designators. You may remain on the same channel center as before.

So radio equipment must meet the new 12.5 KHz narrow band specs. You cannot after the fact get an FCC type certification for 11K2F3E for a radio initially certified for 20K0F3E. It would have to be a new radio model, by the manufacturer. Installing narrow IF crystals in a radio and turning down the deviation, might "work" but it would not be certified as compliant. The FCC addressed this in a FAQ years ago.

RFI-EMI-GUY

SCPD

QRT
Quote W8PRR:
"To the gentleman that said his Johnson PPL's were legal, you should check on the requirement to narrowband, they are not legal now, even though I'm sure they work."

hmmmmm... maybe-- a gentle Woman ? -- a minor oversight there, I'm sure - though I have been called far worse......(smiles)... :)
Years ago when this narrow banding was becoming the vogue, I ran this by my contact (and family friend) at the FCC (one of their Field Engineers)-- and his pronouncement was everything was kosher for the service and the frequencies for which I was licensed. That, by itself is not much of a defense here- so I have extracted salient points from the "Big Book of Regulations"- listed below... Read them and ponder them at your own peril, remembering I have edit'd them for your-all's sanity's sake..... :)
This particular LMR license - and I hold several in other services, pre dates 1995, My frequencies are some of those listed without the limitations (ie; "30's" or "33" )-- I have personally run the radio thru a bandwidth analysis (I'm probably qualified to do so, and say so - if my holding a GMDSS Oper./Maint. license means anything)-- this transmitter is compliant with 90.209.

In fairness to all concerned, these regulations- especially when you dig into the bandwidth issues, get quite involved. I think my FCC friend would agree, that unless some transmitter is really "out there" - that this issue is not a pressing concern to their Agency. But I dare not speak for him; and especially for "Them."
.......................CF

§90.35 Industrial/Business Pool.
Frequency --Class of station(s) --- Limitations
451.84375 ......Base, Mobile 33.
451.850 ......do.
451.85625 ......do 33.
451.8625 ......do 30.
451.86875 ......do 33.
451.875 ......do.
451.88125 ......do 33.
451.8875 ......do 30.
451.89375 ......do 33.
451.900 ......do.
451.90625 ......do 33.
451.9125 ......do 30.
451.91875 ......do 33.
451.925 ......do.
451.93125 ......do 33.
451.9375 ......do 30.
451.94375 ......do 33.
451.950 ......do.
451.95625 ......do 33.
451.9625 ......do 30.
451.96875 ......do 33.
451.975 ...... do.
(30) This frequency will be assigned with an authorized bandwidth not to exceed 11.25 kHz. In the 450-470 MHz band, secondary telemetry operations pursuant to §90.238(e) will be authorized on this frequency.

(33) This frequency will be assigned with an authorized bandwidth not to exceed 6 kHz

Frequency band (MHz) Channel spacing (kHz) Authorized bandwidth (kHz)
25-50 ........................ 20 ........................ 20
72-76 ........................ 20 ........................ 20
150-174 .............. ..........(1) 7.5 ......................... (1, 3) 20/11.25/6
406-512 .......................(1) 6.25 ............................. (1,3,6) 20/11.25/6
806-809/851-854 .......................12.5 .................................. 20

1 - For stations authorized on or after August 18, 1995.

2 - Bandwidths for radiolocation stations in the 420-450 MHz band and for stations operating in bands subject to this footnote will be reviewed and authorized on a case-by-case basis.

3- Operations using equipment designed to operate with a 25 kHz channel bandwidth will be authorized a 20 kHz bandwidth. Operations using equipment designed to operate with a 12.5 kHz channel bandwidth will be authorized a 11.25 kHz bandwidth. Operations using equipment designed to operate with a 6.25 kHz channel bandwidth will be authorized a 6 kHz bandwidth. All stations must operate on channels with a bandwidth of 12.5 kHz or less beginning January 1, 2013, unless the operations meet the efficiency standard of §90.203(j)(3).

6 - Operations using equipment designed to operate with a 25 kHz channel bandwidth may be authorized up to a 22 kHz bandwidth if the equipment meets the Adjacent Channel Power limits of §90.221.

(6)(i)- Beginning January 1, 2011, no new applications for the 150-174 MHz and/or 421-512 MHz bands will be acceptable for filing if the applicant utilizes channels with an authorized bandwidth exceeding 11.25 kHz, unless specified elsewhere or the operations meet the efficiency standards of §90.203(j)(3).

(ii) Beginning January 1, 2011, no modification applications for stations in the 150-174 MHz and/or 421-512 MHz bands that increase the station's authorized interference contour, will be acceptable for filing if the applicant utilizes channels with an authorized bandwidth exceeding 11.25 kHz, unless specified elsewhere or the operations meet the efficiency standards of §90.203(j)(3).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.