ATTN: Central NC Folks: RDU Airport Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hope everyone has had a great weekend so far. Spent part of the afternoon today up at RDU Airport between Raleigh/Durham monitoring incoming/outgoing aircraft. Took a couple radios up there and the weather was perfect! I will be making another trip tomorrow afternoon (say around 1pm till whenever) and wanted to extend the offer to meet others up at the outside RDU Observation Park that overlooks runways 5L/23R. Weather should be great and it should be packed with people. We can also hang out at the "hidden" General Aviation Observation deck inside overlooking runways 5R/23L where I took the photos below...feel free to bring a radio with you and if you need RDU Frequencies feel free to use the RDU Airport listing in the database.
Email me at KE4ZNR@radioreference.com if you think you can make it for a little while tomorrow afternoon and we will coordinate from there.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Pics from inside General Aviation Observation Deck:
3260467813_cdc68af676.jpg

3261268498_265042ec47.jpg

3260433541_02bf423d3c.jpg

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Love to join ya' M.
It's just a little far from The Meck.
Have fun!

Whata wuss you are in your old age :D:twisted:
One of these days we will get you to come visit us
civilized folk in Central NC...I mean you can't hide out
in Char-Meck forever brother! :lol::)
Marshall KE4ZNR

blinddog50

Whata wuss you are in your old age :D:twisted:
One of these days we will get you to come visit us
civilized folk in Central NC...I mean you can't hide out
in Char-Meck forever brother! :lol::)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Three things keepin' me home.
#1 Gettin' shot trying to sneak out of Charlotte.
#2 Yadkin River bridge on I-85.
#3 The large amount of BS that spews forth from Raleigh.

I can heal from the gunshots.
I can close my eyes as I cross the bridge.
But my dog paddlin' days though crap are done.

I'd never make it past Honeymonks in Lexington anyhow.
I's love my bbq.

where are these ouside observation parks and the inside observation deck ? how do you get to them ? (not how to get to RDU---but the observation points inside RDU). Thanks.

Hummm...Does RDU have a pdf map on their website ? I wonder....

( would love to be there, but drove 10 hrs yesterday to Richmond Frostfest and am beat--old age ! )

this might be a good chance to start a "good runway observation points" listing for the major civilian and MILITARY airports in NC....dead end roads....empty parking lots.....something for tailspotters and radio listeners both !

Barefootdipole

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Sorry about the delayed response Barefootdipole...here are directions to the RDU Observation Decks:
Raleigh-Durham International Airport
Raleigh-Durham International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://archerpelican.typepad.com/tap/2004/12/rdu_airport_obs.html

Observation areas

A model of RDU runways for children at the outdoor observation deck.

RDU maintains two public observation decks.

• One deck overlooks runway 5L/23R near the air traffic control tower and park-and-ride lot 2. It has a playground with a simplistic model of RDU's runways for kids and air traffic communications are broadcast via a loudspeaker for the curious public.

• The second deck is located at the General Aviation Terminal. It includes a cafe called CrossWinds Cafe. This observation deck allows for both inside and outside viewing.
obpark.jpg

To reach the observation deck: Get on the main airport "circle", and after you've passed Terminal A, turn right toward long-term parking and general aviation on the north side of the airport. Wind around (and through a tunnel) until you pass the general aviation on your right, and take the second left, immediately after the "general aviation employee parking lot." The observation park lot is labeled, but you need to keep your wits about you or you'll whiz right by it.
I have my radios ready and getting ready to head up there. If you will also be heading up there please respond via PM instead of email. That way I get the notice quicker.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

thanks so much, Marshall......

i went to the RDU website after writing my previous post and looked at their PDF's and tab info there...but your directions and descriptions are MUCH better !

if it wasn't for beltline traffic, the peak hours would be fun there !

thanks again....hope you had fun.

Barefootdipole

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I had a blast...weather was almost perfect (just a little windy) and the outside observation deck overlooking 5L-23R was packed with families! Even saw a coworker of mine up there...went over to the other Observation area overlooking 5R-23L and was able to catch "Nellie Grace on Wings" (Beautiful Jet) stop in to pick up a patient to transport elsewhere:
3263494223_ac03948cf0.jpg

3264325952_6093e7713e.jpg

All in all, a great trip! I recommend it as a low cost family outing where the kids will have a blast.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.