• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

ATV's who has one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2003 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 (love the semi-auto transmission) and a 2002 Kawasaki Prarie 400 4x4. I like the Prarie the best but it's a model before the engine brake so it isn't the best going downhill.

I've been eyeing a new Artic Cat...but besides fuel injection newer quads don't offer much to me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Mine is a 2009 Yamaha Rhino. Radio is either an Icom IC-F521 or an IC-F621, depending on which band I need. Here's a list of the mods/equipment.

PTT on steering wheel so I can keep both hands on the wheel while talking, Rugged Radio RRP-502 intercom to talk with passenger, Icom IC-F621, custom gauge panel with marine gauges.

Headsets are built-in to helmets and plug in via coiled cords. Intercom is live all the time, and both driver and passenger can talk on the radio with the driver controlling the PTT.

Obligatory trail shots!

Roll cage hanging me up on the side of a mountain; have to winch sideways to clear the tree. At this elevation, the trees are pretty sparse. Not much of anything below me except for a few hundred feet of air.

One of the tightest trails I've ever run. It took 6 hours to do approx 13 kms with my Rhino and one quad.

Ah, nice. Made me realize I forgot my radio pictures.

My brother in law has a Rhino and it's pretty nice. His is a 2005 or 2006 with the carbureted 660 motor. I guess his is a bit lighter than my Polaris and he can usually walk away from me on the straight away, even with my 800cc and fuel injection. Nice machines.

I'm running a Motorola CDM-750 VHF in mine. Remote head under the dash with the RF deck in the glove compartment. I've got a 1/2 wave mounted on the rear of the roll cage, seems to be working pretty well. I've got a Motorola remote speaker under the dash also, even running flat out on a fire road with a full face helmet on it's still plenty loud enough to be heard. When I stop the machine it's actually loud enough to hurt my ears.

I've got a Venom 4000lb winch on the front with the Amsteel blue line, makes it a lot nicer to use. HID upgrade since the stock headlights on the Polaris machines really suck. I've added a pair of LED spots on the front, so the combination of HID's and LED's really helps at night. A single LED flood off the back of the roll cage makes it easier to turn around if I get down the wrong trail.
Wife and son ride up front. One of the benefits of the Polaris machines (at the time) was they were the only ones that would carry 3 people. Yellow lab rides in the back with 60 pounds of tools, couple of gallons of gas, 1" x 50 foot tow rope I spliced eyes in. Shovel and axe all come in handy in the spring. Trauma kit rides back there also.

I've got a few other people ride with me, 1 Rhino, 2 Polaris Rzrs, 1 Polairs mid size Ranger. All of them have VHF radios in them and an assortment of tools, fuel, medical kits, and satellite beacons.

We've probably been averaging 1000 miles a year, mostly in Northern California and some Nevada. We spend a lot of time around Mono Lake in the Eastern Sierras and at least one trip a year to Mt. Shasta.

Here's a trail shot from last year. This was on the north side of Mt. Shasta near Weed, CA. We'd ridden most of the way around the mountain to this part. We were camped on the south side of the mountain near McCloud.

I don't have any radios on my quads. I'm holding out for a GME radio to install on them.

My XJ is in the middle of a comms overhaul. Moving it from a Chinese dual band radio over to a VHF Astro Saber with a AVA and W3 control head and 10 dB convertacom amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Mine is a 2006 Z400.

What has been done to it..

Yoshimura Full Off Road Exhaust (no spark arrestor)
Dyno-Jet Stage 2 Jets.
Pro Design Air Filter.
ITP HoleShot Tires.
ITP Rims.
425cc Bore out kit.
Renthal 45t Anodized Blue Rear Sprocket.
Renthal 23t Front Gear.
Wiseco Piston.
Elka Suspension.

For now will upgrade more..

The pics are early but will try to get new since the 4 wheeler is at my parents house.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
That was just after delivery but I admit, I don't go that hard on it. I don't think work would be happy paying for my weekend adventures.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Mine would smoke that utility...sorry boys.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.