Audio out to Speakers Humming

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have a cheapo 19" flat screen (Insignia) at my radio desk and I am wanting to patch the audio out in to my master audio (computer audio system which is hooked up to run thru an audio amp) When I do this, I have options of headphones or auxiliary. I plugged into auxiliary on my hub - nothing but a loud hum.

For example. if I am playing my bass guitar along with MP3s on my computer I patch out from headphones on my hub to auxiliary in on my Peavey amp and I can play along thru the amp. So I thought if I ran a stereo line (1/8" gold plated cable) from my TV audio out to the auxiliary input of my computer hub it would play thru my overall audio system. All I get is a loud hum. Something obviously not right here. What am I doing wrong? By 'hub' I am referring to a circular component that allows me to adjust volume, plug in headphones, and receive auxiliary audio from an outside source. Am I wrong in the assumption that it means audio auxiliary in, and it's only out?

Any ideas? Thanks for your time -

JD
kf4anc

prcguy

Maybe your system is telling you to switch to lead or rhythm guitar? Maybe a sax?

Or maybe not. You should probably isolate things in steps to see if its a ground loop causing the hum. Get a ground pin lifter adapter and try on each 3 prong power cords to see if one or all of them is introducing the hum. Its really hard to get hum free using unbalanced cables like you are using but it can be done.

What might be happening is the different components could be plugged into different outlets and the ground potential could be different between them. When you then plug audio cables between components, AC ground currents can flow on the shield of the cables as they try to equalize the potential and that current can induce hum on those audio cables. Either isolating all the components or making sure they are all at the same ground potential can reduce or eliminate the hum.

Or you could just have the wrong kind of cable between components like a two circuit TRS plugged into a single circuit TS type and you are grounding one side of a stereo pair or ?? Can you get your system down to the most simple thing like guitar + preamp or amp tap into the monitor and see if that is hum free then add more components until it hums?

I have a cheapo 19" flat screen (Insignia) at my radio desk and I am wanting to patch the audio out in to my master audio (computer audio system which is hooked up to run thru an audio amp) When I do this, I have options of headphones or auxiliary. I plugged into auxiliary on my hub - nothing but a loud hum.

For example. if I am playing my bass guitar along with MP3s on my computer I patch out from headphones on my hub to auxiliary in on my Peavey amp and I can play along thru the amp. So I thought if I ran a stereo line (1/8" gold plated cable) from my TV audio out to the auxiliary input of my computer hub it would play thru my overall audio system. All I get is a loud hum. Something obviously not right here. What am I doing wrong? By 'hub' I am referring to a circular component that allows me to adjust volume, plug in headphones, and receive auxiliary audio from an outside source. Am I wrong in the assumption that it means audio auxiliary in, and it's only out?

Any ideas? Thanks for your time -

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Duh - I figured it out. Too much spaghetti behind the desk. Taking an input to an output. I can take the input direct into my studio Mackies. Thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.