Audio over IP hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

VK2GEL

PeterGV

K1PGV
The problem is you need to get the audio data, digitize it, compress it to MP3, and then push the feed in SHOUTcast format to a server. AND you need some sort of interface to allow you to manage the device and check its status. That's obviously some sort of computer, even if it's just an embedded computer like the Barix.

You might be able to save yourself $100 by trying to put together a good Thin Client (think HP Compaq t5710 or something running XP Embedded). But you'll need to find it, configure it, etc. More flexibility but... it IS a PC in the end.

I dunno... there aren't many choices out there, really,

Peter
K1PGV

richtidd

Database Admin
The problem is you need to get the audio data, digitize it, compress it to MP3, and then push the feed in SHOUTcast format to a server. AND you need some sort of interface to allow you to manage the device and check its status. That's obviously some sort of computer, even if it's just an embedded computer like the Barix.

You might be able to save yourself $100 by trying to put together a good Thin Client (think HP Compaq t5710 or something running XP Embedded). But you'll need to find it, configure it, etc. More flexibility but... it IS a PC in the end.

I dunno... there aren't many choices out there, really,

Peter
K1PGV

I like the Barix and use nothing but them.
5 out of 6 of my feeds use Barix.
The one that is not Barix is a Mac on Nicecast.

The Barix are simple to use and I do not have any of the typical feed trouble issues as most others do since the firmware is embedded and it is a stand alone. While $400 may seam a lot, the piece of mind is worth it for me.

Don't get me wrong, streaming software like ScannerCast on a PC is great and has many other advantages like ability to to tags. The issues is computer can and do mess up a lot more than a Barix does.

If you stay with a PC, use ScannerCast as it works well & Peter is around to work with on problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.