• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Audiovox GMRS-2000 not transmitting(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWPA

Just recently picked up a used GMRS-2000 FRS/GMRS base station to replace one that was destroyed in a fire at our camp. All the radio functions appear operational except it does seem to be transmitting to my handheld radios. The display indicates that transmission is occurring (red transmit light and signal strength bar next to antenna icon) and have tried both the VOX and PTT transmit options. The radio is operating off of the A/C adapter. I opened the case and noticed that a wire has been clipped at both ends of 1 of 2 wire connector headers. Is it possible that the radio was modified so that it couldn't transmit?

I have not been able to find any pictures of the inside of the unit or schematics online. Unfortunately I don't have easy access to electronic test equipment any more but still have my DMM. Any thoughts or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Jeff

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Well, anything is possible of course so I wouldn’t rule that out. Did you verify that you are on the correct channel AND tone? If you’re using a tone on the handheld radios and not on the base, the handhelds won’t open the squelch to receive the audio from the base. I’m sure you know this, but the base radio and handheld radios but all match, channel and tone.

NWPA

Thanks for the response 03msc.
Yes, the channel and tones match and have tried other combinations also.
Our old GMRS-2000 never had any issues transmitting to these handhelds.
Got this "new" one off of ebay and the seller was just a reseller so no help with the history of the unit.
Was sold "as is" but that it "appeared" to be working.
If I had a internal picture of a working unit, I would have a better idea on the significance of that cut wire.

NWPA

I just wanted to post an update especially since this thread had so many views.

The radio WILL transmit IF batteries are in the battery compartment. Even though the unit appears fully functional without batteries, it won't transmit unless it does. Maybe their used to filter/buffer the AC-DC power adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.