Augmenting/Replacing BC-780

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA4HHG

Premium Subscriber
So, I have a BC-780XLT and the programming software. I'm interested in expanding my capabilities and performance level so am looking for suggestions. This is for base operation and I'm not interested in a handheld at the moment. The 780 does trunk-tracking fairly well and scans quickly.

Living in Tidewater, VA means that in addition to the usual Public Safety traffic, there is a wide range of MILCOM traffic. I'm within range of NAS Oceana, NAS Norfolk, AIRSTA E. City, the Dare Bombing Range, GIANTKILLER/VACAPES, NAB Littlecreek, etc........

The RF performance of the 780 especially with regard to intermod is mediocre and that's being kind.

We have a few flavors of APCO-25 here also.

So, is there a step up from the 780 ?

Thanks !
Chuck Rippel
Chesapeake, VA

n4yek

Hi Chuck,
I think a good replacement would be the Uniden BCD 996XT.
BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki
I will be a bit of a learning curve trying to program it but there is software available, which is free, that makes it easily done. You can also import frequencies directly from the database with a paid subscription to Radio Reference, this make it super easy to program your scanner.
Hope you enjoy what even scanner you choose.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hello again Chuck:

What Danny gave you is right on - this is the unit you'll want.

You really have TONS of systems to monitor down there and this scanner should do it.

Russell

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Most any consumer scanner - the 996XT included - is going to be susceptible to some degree to intermod issues. Changing scanners isn't the answer - find out what is causing the problem and solve it.

You should do some homework and determine what is causing the intermod. Filters are available, and the ones from PAR are quite effective, if a bit on the expensive side. But you get what you pay for, and if memory serves, Dale is a RR member.

The 780 used to have a pretty decent front end, but the years - along with the growth of radio traffic - has taken its toll, no question

Of course, for P25, the 996XT will do just fine - but if you have Phase II, forget it - the full version of Phase II can't be handled by anything - yet.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would also consider whether any amps you are using are causing the problem. If the intermod is greatly reduced or goes away with the amps out of the line, you know what your problem is...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.