August OKC Area Scanner Dinner Meet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mam1081

Feed Provider
August is almost upon us! Tuesdays are the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, and the 29th (whoa - count 'em - 5 Tuesday to pick from!).

I believe this month is a west rotation. Any ideas for places? Which tuesday works for everyone else? If we pick the 1st, I might be a little late, but I should be able to be there. So far, all the others look OK to me.

As for things to bring, it seems there are several people looking to find a new scanner. A 996 vs BCT-15 might be interesting. I hear there is one of those around that someone has modified the "look" of the 996 too - maybe we can see that at the meeting.

okccsi

Any Tueday works for me. I think we should go for the 15 though. This probably ensures everyone gets a payday behind them.

As for eating places, I would like to see something besides Chinese food. What about a Bricktown eatery? Spaghetti Warehouse? We can even call ahead and reserve space.

OKC CSI

CommShrek

Cool...

Awesome man, I knew you guys would come up with a cool place to meet one day. Spellini's Whorehouse has some of the freakiest women in all of OKC and they also......wait a minute.....you said Spaghetti Warehouse. Nevermind, forget it.

Folta, you can go if you want. I thought they had something cool lined up. :)

okccsi

CommShrek said:
Spellini's Whorehouse

I still say we go somewhere that has lots of police action nearby and serves food. Any additional entertainment would just be a bonus.

Red Dog (Tons of police action rolling on this section of 10th street)
Night Trips
Xtasy Ranch

OKC CSI

mam1081

Feed Provider
My "late coming" on the 1st just free'd up, so I'm open to any Tuesday.

I was chatting on the radio to another RR member, and we thought about Mexican instead of Chinese. If it was cooler, I would suggest a cook-out, but I require sub-100 temperatures for that (that could happen if we hold off until the later part of the month I guess).

You Tulsa folks don't think we go anywhere cool? Well, it might not cool when we pick it, but once we're there - it's definately the place to be! (if you're interested in radios anyhow)

freqscout

Riiiiight, CSI...How about Earl's Rib palace at Reno/Meridian. We have yet to get some BBQ for these meetings and their's is pretty decent stuff.
They also have burgers, chicken, and other non-BBQ type items for those who are not interested in the tasty morsels of goodness that they primarily produce. I have eaten there several times and it is a 10/10 on quality 8/10 on the BBQ scale (most likely because it is the type of place that abides by the health codes. The ones that don't make the best BBQ usually.). I also vote for the 15th of August.

okccsi

freqscout said:
Riiiiight, CSI...How about Earl's Rib palace at Reno/Meridian. We have yet to get some BBQ for these meetings and their's is pretty decent stuff.
They also have burgers, chicken, and other non-BBQ type items for those who are not interested in the tasty morsels of goodness that they primarily produce. I have eaten there several times and it is a 10/10 on quality 8/10 on the BBQ scale (most likely because it is the type of place that abides by the health codes. The ones that don't make the best BBQ usually.). I also vote for the 15th of August.

What? I put the motion for the 15th on the table and you gave it the second, so let's call it the 15th.

Earl's sounds okay to me. Chelino's is in Bricktown. There is also a bunch of Nino's, although I don't like their queso. How about Incredible Pizza? Or a place that serves beer? The other one that is obvious, but hasn't been mentioned is Hooter's. Expressway and May area is a good spot and central to a bunch of people.

If nobody wants Hooter's, let's shoot for Earl's...I guess.

OKC CSI

woodyrr

mam1081 said:
You Tulsa folks don't think we go anywhere cool? Well, it might not cool when we pick it, but once we're there - it's definately the place to be! (if you're interested in radios anyhow)
Well, except for the one young lady patron at the last place that opined that we must be awfully "bored" - I never did figure that one out.

August starts really early this month, so, much to my surprise, I should be able to make the 15th.

BTW, those of you who are using an Garmin etrex legend with their 996s and are experiencing spurious lockout and unlock of systems, I disabled the WAAS function of the GPS and haven't had one since.

freqscout

Earls has beer.

Bricktown is on the East side of the city (Santa Fe is the divider) so quit trying to assimilate us west siders into your east side cult...freaks...gosh.

Not opposed to mexican food. Unless of course I have to go to Mexico to get it.

freqscout

Well...for recap..Earls or Mexican (when choosing a venue keep in mind that the temp will be around 100 degrees)...What if we do ice cream since it will be hot? There is a Braums at NW 23/Meridian (just east) and at NW Expressway/Meridian (just west). There is also food there for those who require sustenance. I like that idea.....mmm rocky road. Sloth love rocky road.

We are getting together on August 15th.

mam1081

Feed Provider
Jonnie's on NW Expressway (between Rockwell & MacArthur) has a separate meeting room....maybe we can get that! It is really "west" though. Anyone know of another place with a separate meeting room?

I'm up for some BBQ (and some peach cobbler and ice cream afterwards). Braums might work (I was waiting for Crayon to say something like "Braum's doesn't allow gatherings of nerds with electronic devices" :) )- we just take up several booths and chat between them. Heck, we have radios to communicate over distances!

okccsi

See, when I mentioned the Sketti Warehouae in Bricktown, I thought maybe we could get the trolley to ourselves as a meeting area. That would have been cool. Especially if we had some rail fans. Kinda fits into that category.

But I am down for Earl's.

OKC CSI

mam1081

Feed Provider
okccsi said:
See, when I mentioned the Sketti Warehouae in Bricktown, I thought maybe we could get the trolley to ourselves as a meeting area. That would have been cool. Especially if we had some rail fans. Kinda fits into that category.
OKC CSI

You can use that for your "East Side" meeting next month!

okccsi

mam1081 said:
You can use that for your "East Side" meeting next month!

Hello no. Eastside meeting can stay right here in MWC! Now, maybe a Mexican venue next time, but still. I have 3 of those within 1 mile from me. In fact, several of us are within a mile of all the good eating places.

OKC CSI

fireant

So where are we going to eat tomorrow ? have heard numerous suggestions but no definite answers yet anything sounds good to me.

fireant

Last edited:

mam1081

Feed Provider
I think BBQ seems to have a larger fan base and there was a restaurant actually mentioned. Unless someone comes up with a good mexican restaurant soon, let's do Earls near Reno & Meridian (4414 W. Reno, for those who want to map it out). 7 PM. Be there or be........scanner-less!

All y'all from the METRO (meaning Oklahoma County and all adjacent counties) should try to make it. There seems to be many new people around, and these meetings are great fun to just talk about the different municipalities and systems around and how to monitor them. The meeting is completely open (though you'll have to pay for whatever food you order). Please come and bring some toys to show off!

If you're a ham, talk-in on 444.775 + 141.3. If you hear all the "buzzing", wait for a break and ID. Otherwise, bring out the P25 scanners.:p :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.