Avast false positives warning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If you, or anyone you know is using the popular free anti-virus program called Avast, please read the following:

Avast Anti-Virus is having some issues! It’s giving false-positives, telling people that tons of files on their systems are infected, when in fact they are not. Some people are telling it to delete all the infected files, and totally screwing up their computes and losing files, pictures, music, etc.

If Avast Anti-Virus is on your computer, you need to un-install it ASAP! What ever you do, do not delete any files that it says are infected, because they really are not.

More info here:
False positive in Avast! or is it real? - dslreports.com

Microsoft has introduced a new FREE anti-virus program that you can download and install to replace Avast. It’s called Microsoft Security Essentials.

You can download it from here:

Microsoft Security Essentials Download
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

WouffHong

Already fixed

RELAX. already! - Fixed in this mornings update - look at latest (today's) posts on DSLREPORTS..

And the last thing we want is a MickeySoft free scanner poking it's usual snoopy nose into everything we do, whether legal or marginally so. :roll:

Sorta an "advantage" on steroids?

:cool:

Signed, Paranoia-r-us (ROTFL)

If you, or anyone you know is using the popular free anti-virus program called Avast, please read the following:

Avast Anti-Virus is having some issues! It’s giving false-positives, telling people that tons of files on their systems are infected, when in fact they are not. Some people are telling it to delete all the infected files, and totally screwing up their computes and losing files, pictures, music, etc.

If Avast Anti-Virus is on your computer, you need to un-install it ASAP! What ever you do, do not delete any files that it says are infected, because they really are not.

More info here:
False positive in Avast! or is it real? - dslreports.com

Microsoft has introduced a new FREE anti-virus program that you can download and install to replace Avast. It’s called Microsoft Security Essentials.

You can download it from here:

Microsoft Security Essentials Download
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It came a bit too late for a friend but at least he found them in the recycle bin and was able to restore them. Now he has other problems of his own making as usual, he deleted all his AV and AS software and can't reinstall it. It looks like I'll have to walk him through this latest minefield, oh well.

I sure hope not TOO many have taken that "advice" but rather remained calm not having pushed the panic (delete) button, those who have are scer-ewed. Avast me hearties, I've just pirated all your data! R R RRRrrrr! <<<Pieces of 8 bits are a byte, AAAWWWK!>>>>

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Had issues with Avast telling me the Teamspeak page that I am a moderator at was infected with a trojan horse/malware last night. This has never happened before, and after searching for a possible answer for a few hours last night I just shut down the computer and went to bed, but did NOT delete anything other than Teamspeak.

Lo and behold, today I was informed that Avast has since remedied the problem(s), and a fresh install of Teamspeak now working as normal, life is good again. I have been a longtime Avast user, and think it is one of the best free AV programs out there.

N1BHH

Microsoft Security Essentials is very good. I started using it in both of my XP machines and it's very quietly running in the background. I got it on very good authority that it works much nicer, updates without you having to. The Berkeley faculty IT guy that I know suggested it and I no longer have Spyware Blaster, no PC Tools Anti-Virus, no Spybot S&D. MSE does it all. I did try Avast but it kept giving me fits when I wanted to do stuff, so out all the others and in went MSE, and I am happy and the machines are, too.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I use to run Avast for about the last two years. It worked very well, no complaints. I did switch to MS Security Essentials several weeks ago, and haven't regretted it.

It's in Microsoft's best interest to make Windows as secure as possible. So they have an incentive to make Security Essentials as good as they can. Because it's free, they do not have any incentive to try and intimidate you into buying upgrades and new licenses every year. I've been using it on several systems for awhile now and it truly is one of those things you can install and forget about it. It updates automatically, you can schedule scans automatically. The user interface is so simple, even my wife and sister can deal with it and not get nervous about doing something wrong.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I use Avira based on my research and knowing that it has a good engine. You see, anti-virus software can be great one month and then lose the competitiveness of their rivals the next. So long as the heuristic engine is good, then you have a great product.

Have used Avast before and found many false positives kicked out after an update. Common sense told me that said files were not malware... Other people are not so tech savvy. My findings with Avast is that the web scanning control would slow the connection down. There are some capabilities that Avast has that others don't however...

AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Comparatives & Reviews

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.