Average Waiting Time for IL Ham License Plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclarkr6

Does anyone know what the "average" waiting time is for receiving Illinois ham radio license plates? I applied for my ham plates two months ago and was told that the plates would be arriving in 3-4 weeks (from the time I applied). I was wondering if I should call the Secretary of States Office or keep waiting for the plates to show up. So to all you IL hams, how long did it take you to get your IL ham radio license plates?

Thanks in advance to all who reply! :D

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the "average" waiting time is for receiving Illinois ham radio license plates? I applied for my ham plates two months ago and was told that the plates would be arriving in 3-4 weeks (from the time I applied). I was wondering if I should call the Secretary of States Office or keep waiting for the plates to show up. So to all you IL hams, how long did it take you to get your IL ham radio license plates?

Thanks in advance to all who reply! :D

Average time has been six weeks to two months; Call 1-800-252-8980, and give yourself at least an hour to wait on the phone and conduct your business. Don't be surprised if they give you a regular area code 217 phone number to call a special department back for your answer.

If your check has already been cashed, that's a good sign that your plates 'are in progress.'

jclarkr6

Average time has been six weeks to two months; Call 1-800-252-8980, and give yourself at least an hour to wait on the phone and conduct your business. Don't be surprised if they give you a regular area code 217 phone number to call a special department back for your answer.

If your check has already been cashed, that's a good sign that your plates 'are in progress.'

Thank you, K9WSS! I gave the SOS's office a call and found out that my plates have been in the mail for almost 3 weeks, so hopefully they will be arriving any day now. I appreciate your assistance! :)

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Thank you, K9WSS! I gave the SOS's office a call and found out that my plates have been in the mail for almost 3 weeks, so hopefully they will be arriving any day now. I appreciate your assistance! :)

Wow! That's a long time to be in the mail. I'd check if there was anyway to track your plates, but I doubt it because SOS ships them USPS probably 3rd class / bulk rate.

jclarkr6

Wow! That's a long time to be in the mail. I'd check if there was anyway to track your plates, but I doubt it because SOS ships them USPS probably 3rd class / bulk rate.

I was also surprised at how long the plates had already been in the mail. The person I spoke with said to wait until Jan. 1 to see if the plates arrive. If they don't, she said to call back and explain my situation again. I should have asked her if the plates had a tracking number, but I didn't; I also assumed that the plates were shipped in the cheapest manner possible. However, it would not have hurt to ask and if I have to call back, then I will definitely ask about a tracking number. I'm still hoping (probably rather foolishly) that the plates will show up as an early Christmas present. :lol:

N9JIG

Sheriff
License plates are sent via bulk-rate mail, and as such will not have a tracking number. While the processing center may have completed their part of the order, "In the mail" could mean it is still in the SOS mail room. With only 1 or 2 people probably in that office, if someone is on vacation this time of year (or med leave etc.) low priority items like vanity plates would sit in a mail cart while other items are handled first.

Once it hits the post office it usually takes anywhere from 3 to 10 days, depending on variables, with it being the holidays, it would be closer to the longer end...

10 or 15 years ago when I got my ham plates they came in 2 weeks, a year or two later when we got customized plates for my wife's car it took a lot longer.

usswood

I was also surprised at how long the plates had already been in the mail. The person I spoke with said to wait until Jan. 1 to see if the plates arrive. If they don't, she said to call back and explain my situation again. I should have asked her if the plates had a tracking number, but I didn't; I also assumed that the plates were shipped in the cheapest manner possible. However, it would not have hurt to ask and if I have to call back, then I will definitely ask about a tracking number. I'm still hoping (probably rather foolishly) that the plates will show up as an early Christmas present. :lol:

Still alot better than Indiana..you have to wait until the next plate year to get your HAM plate...what a JOKE!!!...then you have to reserve it a year in advance everytime you renew

jclarkr6

My Ham Plates Finally Arrived!

The license plates arrived today in the mail! Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread! Happy Holidays!

KC9YCI

not what i was told the people at springfield told me now it takes anywere from 60 days up to 90 days now for ham radio plates iv'e called springfield two times to ask were my plates were because the libertyville dmv place said three weeks or sooner and the funny thing is they dont have my application in springfield i applyed the first week of january 2013

KA9QPN

Problem is that there are only a couple of people in the SoS system who can properly get the plates ordered. The fun is just beginning. Wait until you have them and get stopped for the first time. Many dispatchers don't know how to run the plates, either.

KZ9G

Premium Subscriber
They sent me the wrong plates when they changed styles. There was no one with the callsign they sent me. Called and they told me the mistake was on my end and I should have the FCC change my callsign to match the plates. Ended up going down to the local office and they sorted it out and had the replacments in less than two weeks.

KC9YCI

wow i hope that does not happen to me they took down my call sign i hope it will be on plate now they said 60 days to 90 days before i get them i'm thinking not till july KC9YCI

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Problem is that there are only a couple of people in the SoS system who can properly get the plates ordered. The fun is just beginning. Wait until you have them and get stopped for the first time. Many dispatchers don't know how to run the plates, either.

Any dispatchers that worked with me always knew how to run ham plates. I "strongly encouraged them" to be knowledgeable in running ANY type of license plates. Illinois has something like 225 different types of license plates for motor vehicles registered in the State of Illinois.

Here are a few of them: License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.