AWIN Discussion

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
New TGID: 21238 Radio ID: 1227704
TG appears to be associated Lonoke Co.
Possible volunteer fire dept.?

I didn't hear the audio, but both scanners trolling for new TGID's caught it.

Scanningar

A new site 002-091 is showing as a peer on the Little Rock Simulcast, and Unitrunker is reporting a control channel of 764.16875 . I'm unable to pickup the new site from Maumelle. Hoping maybe someone in the surrounding area can pick up the tower and narrow down where this site may be.

I also notice site 2-23 (Magnet) is no longer listed as a peer for the Simulcast.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
New Crittenden Co. AWIN site - possibly un-listenable on TRX-1?
WRCS412 Granted 12/20/2018
SY - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz
771.306250 FB2
773.668750 FB2
801.306250 MO
803.668750 MO

TRX-1 will not accept the mobiles.
Software gives an Invalid Frequency error pop-up box: "The frequency you entered is invalid for this radio".
Seems as if the range for 800 band is 806 - 869 MHz.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
You do not need mobiles anyway. All you need is the repeaters. This looks like an expansion onto a current site adding 700 MHz. (West Memphis site location.)

wbswetnam

There are some statewide AWIN talkgroups on which I have never ever heard any traffic. Below is a list... has anyone ever heard any traffic on these channels?
7214 MedComm Net
7217 Hospital Common 1
7219 Hospital Common 3
2713 National Weather Service reports
2715 SO Net 1 (replaces 37.240)
2717 SO Net2 (replaces 37.100)
any of the statewide event talkgroups
any of the fire pool talkgroups

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
NWS uses MAC Call to give out warnings and take reports during severe weather. I do not know why but I have surmised that maybe the NWS TG wasn't programmed in radios like it should have been so they use MAC Call instead.

I suspect some of them are for future expansion/use, perhaps, such as the Event or Fire Pool TGs.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I heard SO Net 1 in use several times when I lived there. Same with MedComm Net. MedComm was used weekly for testing of comms between hospitals. Event TGs are for large scale events and require special permissions to use. Most agencies just find asking any permission to do anything too much hassle so just do not use them. Same for ANY mutual aid set ups. Unless they are forced to do it the right way they never will. Lets say your County has a big fair coming up, and it also has a bike rally associated with it. Your wanting to get some help from not only State Agencies, but surrounding counties... This is a yearly event. Not an emergency situation. Just contact AWIN, set up an Event TG or 2 and everyone use them. But this requires an actual effort to do so never happens.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The MAC channel TGs are used often...as in, weekly...by various groups. Simple procedure:

“[Person calling] to ADEM on MAC Call”
“This is ADEM, go ahead”
“ADEM, this is [person calling] with [agency] and we need a MAC channel for [reason]”
(ADEM will assign one depending on need...the higher number MAC channels are for LEO use only, as indicated)
ADEM will then get contact info for the person calling for the channel and then telling them which MAC they are assigned and remind them to notify them when finished.

That’s why they use MAC channels, because it’s simple to get one and they’re supposed to be in each radio. <30 seconds and they’re using a MAC channel.

wbswetnam

Yes, the MAC channels are very commonly used. I frequently hear several MAC channels in use for various things; many seem to be undercover operations. But in my years of listening to AWIN, I have never heard any activity on any of the channels I have listed in post #807 above.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Unable to connect to Floyd tower (site 46) in White Co. this evening (4/5)

Running Pro96Com on the Batesville tower doesn't show Floyd as being active.

1554532094716.png1554532094716.png

cajunjerry

There are some statewide AWIN talkgroups on which I have never ever heard any traffic. Below is a list... has anyone ever heard any traffic on these channels?
7214 MedComm Net
7217 Hospital Common 1
7219 Hospital Common 3
2713 National Weather Service reports
2715 SO Net 1 (replaces 37.240)
2717 SO Net2 (replaces 37.100)
any of the statewide event talkgroups
any of the fire pool talkgroups
I live in n w Louisiana and I have heard the weather service on that ID..I hear trauma comm. And ground units . Several years ago when Albert pike had the bad flooding , I could hear all that traffic on a MAC ID
Don't remember which one .

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Unable to connect to Floyd tower (site 46) in White Co. this evening (4/5)

Running Pro96Com on the Batesville tower doesn't show Floyd as being active.

View attachment 70110

Received an email notice yesterday that the Floyd site was experiencing issues due to storm damage and is down until further notice. Message follows:

Floyd Site

April 4, 2019

The Floyd site (46) is currently not in Wide Area Trunking. The site
received extensive damage in the storms this morning and will be down until
further notice. AWIN will alert all users when repairs are complete.
Please be prepared to use backup communications.

Area affected: Troops A, B and D; Including White, Faulkner, Lonoke,
Prairie and Woodruff Counties

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Received an email notice yesterday that the Floyd site was experiencing issues

And ya didn't share that info with us?
Some of us were sittin' here thinking our radios had went deaf. LOL

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
And ya didn't share that info with us?
Some of us were sittin' here thinking our radios had went deaf. LOL

Sorry...yesterday was a crazy busy day and when I saw the email I didn't even think about posting here haha but suffice it to say...the Floyd site is sick or injured at the moment...

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Crazy thing is that both my TRX-1 & Pro 668 (WS1088 upgraded) pick up the Batesville tower like a champ with the Remtronix 800MHz antenna.
My WS1065 picks it up to feed Pro96Com with just the stock metal collapsible antenna, and I get 95-99% decode rate constantly.
My WS1098 is stone deaf to that tower, same antenna as the WS 1065, same set-up as the TRX-1 & Pro 668.
No issues with analog White Co. stuff or the NWS on the Russel tower just north of here. I reckon it's just a lemon on the digital side. Sure is disappointing. With the WS 1098 in Tune Mode at minimum squelch it doesn't hear it!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
We're falling apart! All this morning and afternoon:

Shell Lake (59), DeValls Bluff (60), and Barton (22) are all not in Wide Area Trunking mode at this time. Well, Shell Lake may be back up by now as it got sick this morning but 60 and 22 just went down around 1:30. I suspect Shell is still down but it could have been restored.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I thought some of you might find the attached info put out this morning interesting.

NOTE: This has nothing to do with regular scanners. This is talking about subscriber radios. This is also why it is important that unauthorized radios not be on the system. Again, that's not talking about scanners but actual radios. I just thought some of you would like to see how it can affect the system and why.

Attachments

• AWIN BD Subscriber Scanning 20190314.pdf
    276.1 KB · Views: 26