AZ Phoenix Scanner Meet Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakotter

Feed Provider
Hello fellow enthusiasts.
Is there any scanner meet ups around phoenix for people in our hobby?
It seems like we have a lot of activity on here from Arizona, I know theres HAM meet-ups, but I was wondering if there was scanner meetups.
We could discuss stuff going on with the current events we monitor, the industry, specific models , program types and changes or tips for the RWC and TRWC groups.
If not, would anyone be interested in something like that, maybe once a month on a Saturday or Sunday meet at one of the diners around the city, or we can do a different location each month.

Let me know if you are interested...

KB7MIB

Actually, Rich Carlson, Joe ("Cellphone") and I discussed that possibility Sunday afternoon when we met up to do a side-by-side comparison of my GRE PSR-500, Joe's BCD436HP, and Rich's SDS-100 on the RWC Simulcast G.

If more Phoenix area locals are interested, we just might be able to get a group going.

BTW, my 500 heard nothing on Simulcast G. Joe's 436 heard about 2/3 to 3/4 of what Rich's 100 was hearing, which seemed to be everything.

I'm probably going to be buying myself a birthday present in late July.

John
Peoria

eg153wftx

PHX Area Scanner FB

Is there a Facebook page of enthusiast in the valley? If not maybe one could get started.

milcom_chaser

That is a great idea, would definitely come up for that. Let us know when you hammer out a date/time.
Maybe Rich could bring the SDS-100 down to Tucson, and try it out on the infamous simulcast system: PCWIN.
I'm sure FLANO and some other RR people would love to hear it's performance.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I suggested something like this when I moved here a few years ago. Joe, John and I had a great time Sunday.

Perhaps something on the weekend of the 16th/17th could work. I could see a little trip down Tucson way that weekend...

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
I suggested something like this when I moved here a few years ago. Joe, John and I had a great time Sunday.

Perhaps something on the weekend of the 16th/17th could work. I could see a little trip down Tucson way that weekend...

Rich,

That would be cool. I just ordered my SDS from you. Hoping it gets here before you LOL.

Thanks

mesocyclone

It sounds like a great idea! I'm a member of a ham group that has meetups around the valley - a different restaurant every week, since the valley is so big.

John NJ7E
RedRock 72
MAA0040

rakotter

Feed Provider
Alternate Between PHX and TUS

We could alternate from Phoenix to Tucson depending on what everyone agrees on. I'm located in Mesa, but a road trip to Tucson early in the morning every other month would be a good time.

How does that sound?

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
The SEARM group, South East Arizona Radio Monitors Group meets the 3rd Saturday of every month at the Village Inn, located at 4245 E Speedway in Tucson from 6 - 8 pm. We have been doing this for years, and it works out well, so that we can plan for attendance.

Very informal sit down meal meetings take place amongst a core group of 6-8 scannerists.

Always have conversation about local activities, frequencies, talkgroups, ADS-B, Wildfire activities, etc.

Occasional demonstrations for different hardware is done by members to the benefit of all attending.

We take over a corner in the restaurant that has power.

You'll know us by the different radios, on different activities, sitting on the tables :)

Happy to see new scannerists to the hobby as wells as those who have been there, done that !

Just some ideas for folks up in the valley, as you look for somewhere to hold the meet-up.

jpolich7

Premium Subscriber
Avoid Social Media

When you schedule Phoenix scanner meetings, please announce them here on Radio Reference. Social media are not secure and many do not use them.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
What of us who don't use Facebook? I refuse to join it. I am tentatively interested in an AZ meetup, in Phoenix area. I am now in West Phoenix. I see some of my neighbors with tell-tale antennas in my general neighborhood, would be nice to have a meet up sometime.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
What of us who don't use Facebook? I refuse to join it. I am tentatively interested in an AZ meetup, in Phoenix area. I am now in West Phoenix. I see some of my neighbors with tell-tale antennas in my general neighborhood, would be nice to have a meet up sometime.

I agree, Facebook is a questionable organization and I won't be part of Facebook personally. I would like to see us use RR for discussing meet-ups. With the new Uniden scanner out, and everyone doing evaluations, and with issues I've been seeing so far, I'm looking forward to some in-person comparison time, and bouncing ideas back and forth about this and other things. I am looking to compare G4 performance to the SDS100 and other scanners in various locations in the near future as well.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
I agree, Facebook is a questionable organization and I won't be part of Facebook personally. I would like to see us use RR for discussing meet-ups. With the new Uniden scanner out, and everyone doing evaluations, and with issues I've been seeing so far, I'm looking forward to some in-person comparison time, and bouncing ideas back and forth about this and other things. I am looking to compare G4 performance to the SDS100 and other scanners in various locations in the near future as well.

Oh yes I agree wholeheartedly. There's no replacing in-person discussions. Unfortunately I am using a rather "old" scanner, BCD996XT. I'd love to test or see the newer ones being used.

milcom_chaser

Oh yes I agree wholeheartedly. There's no replacing in-person discussions. Unfortunately I am using a rather "old" scanner, BCD996XT. I'd love to test or see the newer ones being used.

Bring it (996XT) it's all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I agree, why not bring the 996XT? The more the merrier. Also I've pretty much decided I'm going to keep my SDS100 despite issues and do some comparison work with other valley "early adopters" / beta testers....seems fair to Uniden to give them a chance here. I would really like to hear from anyone else who has used one on the RWC and has tried it on multiple simulcasts in the valley.

thomasbillman1

Feed Provider
meet and great

In August I will see if we can do a meet and great in Mesa if anyone is up to it, maybe a bbq or something. let me know if your intrested for those who are not on facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.