Bad for scanner to stay on 24/7??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilAirNJ

Good Afternoon everyone,

I was just curious to see if anyone has had any problems with there scanners after keeping them up and running live feeds? I keep my BC796 on 24/7 and it seems to have no problems at all. Just curious long term? Can these scanners handle being on all the time. I also disabled the Light on the front, so maybe that won't burn out quick...

Just curious everyone personal opinion or experience!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
There's nothing mechanical in there - you're fine.

USAPatriot

I've been running my 796D on a feed for about 18 hours/day for 3 years or so and it's showing no signs of any problems. -Rod-

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
MilAirNJ said:
Oh this is good to hear! How about the front light? Has that burned out on you?

When I was running my feed, I turned it off. I did have another scanner I used for data monitoring that did not have that option and yes, after about 2 years the bulb died. ;) I still use the scanner - I'll get around to fixing that light one of these days....

-AZ

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I think my 796D has been turned on for over 2 years, I never turn it off. I also have a BC296 that runs 24/7 simulcasting Camden NJ police. My front lamps are still bright but I activate the dimmer when I go to bed, those displays can be pretty bright in a dark room.

MilAirNJ

ha-ha Yes very true. Lights up the entire room. Do you broadcast Camden PD online? If so can we have the link??

Thanks!

SLWilson

Uniden BC950XLT

I have a Uniden/Bearcat scanner that I bought back in the late 80's....I used it "on and off" in my 1988 Chevy Blazer.

Then, I brought it in the house. It played there (and is still playing) pretty much 24 x 7 x 365 for a few years now.

Over time, I have had to replace the light in it a couple of times. But, other than that, it plays fine.

Steve/KB8FAR :)

railfanjjf

I Have A Bearcat Electra Iv-bought By My Fathr In Law In 1973 And Used Many Years Before Before He Gave To Me----has Been Going Continuous For Over Five Years In My Shack And Nothing Has Ever Been Done To It, Not Even A Light. I Also Have The Original Instructions And And Electric Circuit Sheets. The Old Radios Were Made Like Tanks. Has Eight Crystals And The Speaker Is The Best Of All My Equipment.-railfan Jjf-jim,virginia

ICP963

Feed Provider
MilAirNJ said:
Good Afternoon everyone,

I was just curious to see if anyone has had any problems with there scanners after keeping them up and running live feeds? I keep my BC796 on 24/7 and it seems to have no problems at all. Just curious long term? Can these scanners handle being on all the time. I also disabled the Light on the front, so maybe that won't burn out quick...

Just curious everyone personal opinion or experience!
Scanners have power switches??? If mine do, they have never beeen tested in the OFF position except for when they came out of the box. :)

scrotumola

With the exception of power outtages and when I moved in 2000 and again this past January, my pro-2022 has been operating non stop since early 1991. The display backlight is dead and requires odd-angle or a flashlight to make out the display, but it still receives flawlessly.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
In the long run, if the item is not mechanical running 24/7 is probably better than turning it on and off. Anything mechanical is subject to failure at some point. On/off switches, volume and squelch knobs and light bulbs tend to go.

Turning it on and leaving it on, reduces the mechanical wear and tear. Even lights will probably last longer. The on/off cycle is rough on the filaments and the seal. Newer LEDs are less susceptible to this, but do have a life span.

MilAirNJ

Thanks alot for all the responses guys~ I was usually turning mine off every night. But I will be keeping it on from now on!

Status
Not open for further replies.