Bakersfield CA to get a new communications and updated system for their city police

Status
Not open for further replies.

64larry

Premium Subscriber
Recently, the city voted to approve an additional city sales tax that will aid the city in it's projects. According to the Bakersfield City Manager: some of the money raised will go toward hiring 22 additional officers and replace the outdated communications system. The police department wants a digital system, however, no word on the details as to what they are shooting for. The new system may not be in place until next year or later.

cvfd625

My sources say PD will go to UHF. If FD goes UHF digital also, this would present challenges with communicating with KCFD on joint-powers (automatic mutual aid) calls in the metro area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Well, if PD goes UHF and Fire does (or not), wouldn't any of the current dual/multi-band PS grade radios solve this non-issue? I doubt they are going to source old radios for a new system.

Eng74

Almost all of the PD's and the SO are on UHF now and all of the fire is on VHF now. I don't see fire making a switch to UHF. It has been about 10 years now since KCFD made the switch from UHF to VHF. Before for that when Batts 4 and 6 ran with BFD everyone had to switch to "Metro", God that has been gone for a long time now. But there was not any common Tac channels. Now if it is a call in the city or county area everyone has the same channels which they worked fo a long time to get to.

64larry

Premium Subscriber
We've been listening for changes for the city of Bakersfield Police Dept., however, no word or updates as of yet. I know they are working on this as they mentioned their equipment is so old they have to research to find parts. As soon as I hear anything I'll put up an update. Also, those interested in listening to the county digital... the KCSO Secure channels are now encrypted. No other word on Kern County and changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.