Bald Knob NWR / US Fish & Wildlife Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone here have any frequencies for USFW?

I see Federal Wildlife Officer trucks all the time in and around Searcy, Judsonia & Bald Knob but don't know where to start listening.

I went to the Wiki page and found some stuff for other states.

I'm going to set up a search on my and see what I can hear.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Interesting. What national/federal area is down there that they are assigned to?

One wiki page says they're moving to some vhf P25 (likely conventional like some other agencies use) and maybe a trunked system but no info exists for it. Have you noticed what antennas they're running? That might help. E.g. if they have VHF whips vs 800MHz antennas, etc., would give us a clue on what to search for.

Of course, you might could find it by using the close call or search feature if you're in the area (why I asked above)...might get lucky and hit on it.

Maybe someone else will come along and know more.

ecps92

Spend sometime in the 162-174 band at 12.5 khz

Most USFWS have moved to VHF High, from the Low Band Days
and as posted in the wiki began [2009] to migrate to P25 [Dual Mode]

Some NWR property don't have enough personnel to warrant radio traffic, so it might take sometime [an event, prescribed burn or fire] to actually get anything and even then, it might be out-of-towners on mutual aid.

Good luck with the Hunt
Does anyone here have any frequencies for USFW?

I see Federal Wildlife Officer trucks all the time in and around Searcy, Judsonia & Bald Knob but don't know where to start listening.

I went to the Wiki page and found some stuff for other states.

I'm going to set up a search on my and see what I can hear.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I see one Federal Game Warden at the laundromat on Race St. just about every weekend. I'll check out his antennas next time I see it up there.

Also gunna ride out and scope out their refuge HQ and look for antennas there.

I downloaded a radio policy manual.

Encryption
Per OCIO Directive 2006-020 (copy attached below), all law enforcement and/or other sensitive radio communications must be encrypted. If you buy radio equipment with encryption, it must have the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption algorithm, unless your radio system is linked with local cooperators using older encryption algorithms such as the Digital Encryption Standard (DES) or output feedback (OFB). (Please note: the contact list in this memo is out of date; an updated list is attached in Section 11 of this handbook.)​
Trunked Systems
Part 377 in the DM requires Departmental bureaus and offices to use local, non-federally-owned trunked systems in lieu of Department-owned radio systems when it’s beneficial to the Federal Government. Currently, the number of trunked systems is limited, but more are being installed. When affordable trunked systems with adequate coverage become available, nearby Service offices will migrate to using the trunked systems as they obtain funding to upgrade or replace existing equipment​

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
162 - 174 is where I'll search.

They're quite active in the refuge, always checking folks fishing in the ditches & riding the backroads thoughout.

I've not been stopped yet, but I'm back there enough just riding & goofing off I figure I'll get stopped one day. LOL

Pretty cool place to drive backroads & look at deer in the fall & winter. Bald Knob WMR ajoins Hurricane Lake WMA so there is plenty to see back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.