Baltimore county help (newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

travistrain

I have a brand new radioshack 20-156 (pro-146)

I have the trunked freguencies programed into a bank.

Now wat?

How do I setup the trunk system in my scanner?

I mostly want to listen to main fire dispatch and learn how to switch to talk groups when they assign one to a call I want to listen to.

ocguard

I can't find the Pro-146 to even get you started -- and RS part # 20-156 comes back as a GPS unit. Please double-check your model numbera...

ocguard

Looking at some of your other posts, I see you reversed the numbers. The Pro-164 is what you really have. You need to make sure you've set the bank up as a motorola type II bank before you enter the system frequencies. Once you've done that, you can either
1. use SEARCH mode to find the talk groups, or
2. Program the talk group IDs into your scanner and scan thru the onces you want to hear

You can find a complete list of system talk group IDs at the database page for the Baltimore County Public Safety trunked system. Instructions for entering talk group IDs and system frequencies should be in your owners manual, which is always a good place to get started.

travistrain

travistrain said:
I have a brand new radioshack 20-156 (pro-146)

I have the trunked freguencies programed into a bank.

Now wat?

How do I setup the trunk system in my scanner?

I mostly want to listen to main fire dispatch and learn how to switch to talk groups when they assign one to a call I want to listen to.

EDIT ======== 20-146 (PRO-146)

travistrain

ocguard said:
Looking at some of your other posts, I see you reversed the numbers. The Pro-164 is what you really have. You need to make sure you've set the bank up as a motorola type II bank before you enter the system frequencies. Once you've done that, you can either
1. use SEARCH mode to find the talk groups, or
2. Program the talk group IDs into your scanner and scan thru the onces you want to hear

You can find a complete list of system talk group IDs at the database page for the Baltimore County Public Safety trunked system. Instructions for entering talk group IDs and system frequencies should be in your owners manual, which is always a good place to get started.

1. I know how to hit PGM TRUNK then MODE to motorola is thier anything special you have to do for it to be motoralla type 2.

2. Also after you have the tags programed into the scanner how do you select them to listen to. Say i want to just listen to MAIN DISPATCH and nothing eles. How do i do that?

3. Also, are the talk groups programed to a frequency or to the bank of frequencies?

Last edited:

ocguard

Radioshack part 20-146 comes back to the Pro-2025 16 channel direct entry scanner; NOT a trunktracker. Slow down, take your time, and give us the correct part number or model number. Is this your scanner?

Answering your questions:
1. I don't think so, read your owners manual and find out how to select the Moto 800 Type II system. I think what you have done is correct. Does it track the system? If so, you're good.

2. The only way to lock onto a talk group is to scan until the radio stops on the talkgroup you want then press HOLD. This was one shortfall I disliked about this particular scanner -- there is no direct access to a specific talk group.

3. Talk groups are stored in banks separate from system frequencies. Once you are trunk tracking , you need not concern yourself with frequencies, only talk groups, as a talk group call can occur on ANY system frequency.

Read your manual thoroughly, then read our Wiki page, for a better understanding or trunking and your scanner.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Main_Page
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-164
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

travistrain

my scanner manual says 20-164, the guy at radioshack says it is an updated version of pro-164. Its prettymuch the same thing just made by a diffrent company and a few new minor things that you can't really tell. but they are prettymuch the same scanner.

And i still don't think its trunking right. the freguency numbers keep coming up and stuff and nothing about talk groups come up. I don't think im doing somthing right.

Status
Not open for further replies.