• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng 888s not receiving any transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant888

Hello, I recently purchased a Baofeng 888s radio, but it seems the radio doesn't receive anything. Is this a broken Radio?

Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
While it's possible you received a defective unit, ensure your rx and tx frequencies are properly set, any pl and dpl (ctcss) tones are proper per channel. It's possible you entered the frequency via keypad and it has a improper tone set in dpl or pl.

ant888

While it's possible you received a defective unit, ensure your rx and tx frequencies are properly set, any pl and dpl (ctcss) tones are proper per channel. It's possible you entered the frequency via keypad and it has a improper tone set in dpl or pl.
Wait, this radio doesn't have a keypad At all...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Did you ever program the radio? If so, what frequencies? If you haven't programmed the radio, then it probably isn't set to anything active in your area.

ant888

Did you ever program the radio? If so, what frequencies? If you haven't programmed the radio, then it probably isn't set to anything active in your area.
I didn't, but one of my other radios are programmed to the same frequency. I also forgot to mention, when I push the monitor button, I can receive just fine. It's when I don't have that button pushed... :(

NC1

They could have different test frequencies from the factory. So, channel 1 on the first 888 might not be the same frequency on the 2nd 888.

You will need a programming cable if you don't already have one, and download the latest version of CHIRP.
Then program both radios the same, and you should be good to go after that.

ant888

ah, I'll be sure to purchase that. But, does my radio sound defective by the way I described it?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
ah, I'll be sure to purchase that. But, does my radio sound defective by the way I described it?

It is difficult to determine until you look at how it is currently programmed. When you say it receives fine if you press the monitor button, do you mean you can hear voice audio or that you hear unsquelched white noise (static)?

ant888

It is difficult to determine until you look at how it is currently programmed. When you say it receives fine if you press the monitor button, do you mean you can hear voice audio or that you hear unsquelched white noise (static)?
I meant when I transmit on the other radio, and at the same time I push Monitor, I could hear the transmission. When it's done though, I hear the static.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Sconnick

Tough to say...

I meant when I transmit on the other radio, and at the same time I push Monitor, I could hear the transmission. When it's done though, I hear the static.

It's impossible to determine whether it's "broken" without reading the radio. It could just be that the PL code isn't the same on the second radio. Also, just note that the preprogrammed frequencies from the factory aren't necessarily legal to transmit on in the US. Definitely pick up a programming cable.

ant888

Okay. When I get the cable, I'll be sure to check the PL codes. Thanks.

DotNM

Feed Provider
You'll definitely want to look at, and update, the programming on both radios. If I recall correctly, these radios come with programmed frequencies that require licenses. Using these radios on frequencies you're not authorized to use is illegal and can interfere with legitimate users (which may be life safety such as police, fire, ambulance, etc. depending on your area).

Before using them, be sure they're reprogrammed to frequencies that you are authorized to use (e.g. amateur radio frequencies)

cmdrwill

EXACTLY these radios come with 'test frequency's' programmed into them. You should NOT use them, you need to program frequencies you ARE licensed for.

We have tried to get these ccr vendors to clear out the test programming in the radios before selling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.