• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng and CHIRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Just so you understand exactly what's happening here.
The very moment you mention the word "Baofeng" it sends
out a neon light for all of the "nasty" ham operators. A lot
of them love the opportunity to bash a Baofeng user. My
personal advice is to make your post about a Kenwood, Icom,
or any other preferred "ham" radio and you will get a much
friendlier response.

Chronic

In Chirp Click the help tab and about and there is a email there to get help
if you are looking for Ham Radio frequencies , Repeater Book is a much better database and free with registration

Last edited:

rcolley

Nope

its still not working :( anyone find a way to fix it?

Just paid 30 some bucks US so i could specifically use the import options for my radio and 5 minutes in, sorry tough turd. Your Canadian so piss off. so now i gain no more benefits then when i was a none member here.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Just paid 30 some bucks US so i could specifically use the import options for my radio and 5 minutes in, sorry tough turd. Your Canadian so piss off. so now i gain no more benefits then when i was a none member here.

Rcolley, I'm sorry you dissatisfied with you subscription. RR does have frequencies for many Canadian cities. What Province and city of Canada are you in and what type of sevices do you want to to listen to (police, fire, ham, business, etc)?

Edit: Ah, I see the problem is with CHIRP importing Canadian entries.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

The problem you and the OP are having is with CHIRP, not RadioReference.That's why RR is unable to assist you, not because you're Canadian.

rcolley

The problem you and the OP are having is with CHIRP, not RadioReference.That's why RR is unable to assist you, not because you're Canadian.

Correct, the problem is with chirp. When importing from here, it asks for the user name and password. Then it asks for a zip code. When you enter a postal code it will not let you import from this site. I have spoken to someone with chirp (there software is free so pretty hard to be frustrated with then) My frustration is I did not read the forums first to see that this has been a problem for a few years. I have access to all kinds of frequencies for Canada including from here for free, that’s not a problem. I paid to become a member here for the extras that I cannot enjoy. Is what it is.

I also seen a comment about get a real radio.Really?, you must assume that guys who use a Baofeng radio don’t have other radios. I buy these cheap radios so when they get beat up or break, I don’t have to worry about it like I do with my other more expensive radios.

smason

For what it's worth, Proscan easily imports from RR in Canada.
Once you log in, there's dropdowns for Country, State/Province, County (yes we have them)

I suspect it might be a bit of work to fix Chirp, but just sayin' it can be done.
I don't find it a big issue, as there's not much to adding freqs in Chirp, it's not like you can do big trunked systems....

smason

I suspect it might be a bit of work to fix Chirp, but just sayin' it can be done.
I don't find it a big issue, as there's not much to adding freqs in Chirp, it's not like you can do big trunked systems....

I've never used a HP scanner, but surely they take Canadian postal codes, (it appears that Sentinel does) so perhaps it might not be that much work to fix Chirp.

Status
Not open for further replies.