• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng on FRS channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's "technically" against the law. A law that's not enforced, at least not at the end user level.
I would not lose much sleep knowing that people are using Bungfeng, or whatever CCR on the MURS or FRS frequencies. It will impact virtually no one using those frequencies. How would anyone know you where using a CCR on FRS? That's why I stated to the OP to use their best judgement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I s'pose you're right. I'm from the old school that says "Do The Right Thing." Modern morals aren't like that anymore. He should go ahead a do what he wants whether it's right or wrong.

Otto

I s'pose you're right. I'm from the old school that says "Do The Right Thing." Modern morals aren't like that anymore. He should go ahead a do what he wants whether it's right or wrong.

Lol! The great morality debate of 2017...

"Is it morally ok to use my chi-com handheld radio on FRS??"

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Otto;2846248 How would anyone know you where using a CCR on FRS? That's why I stated to the OP to use their best judgement. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:
And there is my point. Unless you're intentionally being a real
SOB and trying to piss people off, to the point of them coming
to find you, how will anybody know what kind of radio you're using?

Use the radio responsibly, don't do anything to make yourself stick
out, don't act like an idiot, don't use foul language and you'll
be fine. Just be aware of the caveats.

Also, just an FYI.. CCR= Cheap Chinese Radio

Otto

The high tech way is known as "transmitter fingerprinting".
The low tech way is because CCRs have certain characteristics that a skilled observer can hear or spot without expensive equipment.

Who is going to waste their time doing this? Not the FCC. Amateur radio enthusiasts with spare time to burn "hunting chi-coms on FRS"? Even if you find one, and submit your evidence to the FCC, they're not going to do anything about it. Have they ever gone after someone using a CCR out of type acceptance? I've never heard of a case, but then again I don't care enough to follow that kind of stuff on a regular basis.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

Morality != legality.

Some laws are pointlessly stupid, and some are evil. Complying with the law is not always morally right, and violating the law is not always morally wrong.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And they will only use it on FRS? Right? Just like the CB band? Right? There are far too many of these CCR being used illegally on all frequencies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And no one has ever used a Yaesu or Kenwood on an unlicensed frequency...smh

It's not the radio, it's the user.

An fcc label's presence or absence on the radio isn't going to change the user's behavior for better or worse.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
These regulations are not in place "just because." The intent is to provide some organization into the system so everyone can effectively use their legal radios. That's not just for commercial stations or businesses or public safety agencies. It's also for private users to allow me to carry on my casual conversations with no interference from illegitimate sources, whether it be FRS, GMRS or ham.

KB0OXD

ND5Y has a good point. Had a Baofeng and found that it can be programmed out-of-band which could get you in big trouble. Stay with type-accepted radios, you'll sleep better.
You can use ANY radio to MONITOR FRS or other non-commercial non-public safety frequencies BUT can only use TYPE ACCEPTED radios if you wanna TRANSMIT on them though

Hope this helps

Cheers & 73 [emoji3]

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.