• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng on FRS channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaofeng

Hello,

I recently purchased a Baofeng BF-F9V2+. I do not have any licenses yet.

After reading multiple forums, it seems that it would be illegal for me to transmit on FRS frequencies. However, from the FCC website, my understanding is that FRS channels are free to use so long as the transmission power is 2W and the bandwidth is 12.5 kHz. If I constrain my Baofeng to these parameters, can I legally transmit on FRS frequencies (aside from the 0.5W channels of course)? If not, why?

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/family-radio-service-frs

Thank you!!

nd5y

spongella

Premium Subscriber
ND5Y has a good point. Had a Baofeng and found that it can be programmed out-of-band which could get you in big trouble. Stay with type-accepted radios, you'll sleep better.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's still not legal because any transmitter used on FRS, or the other Personal Radio Services, must have FCC equipment certification for Part 95. Baofengs aren't certified.
See sections 95.335 and 95.561 at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47cfr95_main_02.tpl

That certification requires that an FRS radio must have a permanent antenna and must be channel selectable and not frequency tunable. nd5y is right. The FCC says it can't be used, period.

Last edited:

N8IAA

People are going to do what they want

If people buy these CCR, and want to use them on FRS or MURS.
It's their butt that's in a sling. How many posts have asked this same question?? How many of you still spout the same over and over and over??
It's not your license that is at jeopardy, you're not the one who will pay the fine. If they want to use radios that are not approved, well it's on the user of the radio.
A simple answer, like NO, should suffice without all the reasoning why.
This poster did his research and knew the answer.
Maybe there should be a sticky for this, wait there is at the top of the amateur radio discussion forum.
Larry

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's their butt that's in a sling. How many posts have asked this same question?? How many of you still spout the same over and over and over??
It's not your license that is at jeopardy, you're not the one who will pay the fine. If they want to use radios that are not approved, well it's on the user of the radio.
Maybe there should be a sticky for this, wait there is at the top of the forum.
Larry

I understand your point, however, their actions could affect me, too. If they decide to use the illegal radio on FRS, what's to stop them from putting in a ham frequency and talking on the local repeater frequencies? I know you will understand those ramifications.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
FRS and Baofeng

One reason these answers keep being repeated is that some people are too lazy to do a RR search and see that the reply is always the same. Many of these questions on legality have been posted ad nauseam, probably in hopes that is will be legal by some sudden miracle.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
To the OP, the Baofeng BF-F9V2+ has a removable antenna, that means you can not use it on the FRS system. That's just one of the no-no s.
As jaspence and KK4JUG has made mention, they have valid comments. It affects all of us, and most never learn to do a search. So it DOESN'T hurt to repeat the no-no here or else where. If it helps just one member then all the better.

KD4UXQ

Maybe there should be a sticky for this, wait there is at the top of the amateur radio discussion forum.
Larry

NO !!!

Does that help?

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I think it's just human nature to want to help others, that's all, and that's a good thing in my book. Helping out fellow human beings and sharing ideas are what these forums are about. A beautiful thing.

Last edited:

mm

I understand your point, however, their actions could affect me, too. If they decide to use the illegal radio on FRS, what's to stop them from putting in a ham frequency and talking on the local repeater frequencies? I know you will understand those ramifications.

This wouldn't be an issue out my way.

If some pirate put in a ham repeater out here in the Pacifist Northwest it would probably be the first time in months that anyone used one of the repeaters.

Now if the Boecrap HT did HF CW then that would be a problem.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

If some pirate put in a ham repeater out here in the Pacifist Northwest it would probably be the first time in months that anyone used one of the repeaters.

I don't know whether that's good or bad..

Otto

Lol! How true. Here in Portland, the entire repeater pair spectrum is full, and rarely do you hear any traffic outside of the "traffic and training" net and some ARES groups with their check in nets.

When someone does try to "pirate" a repeater, it's usually met by radio silence, since no one really cares. Most folks are on simplex for various reasons, and even there the pirates (when they show up) are just laughed at.

Otto

Hello,

I recently purchased a Baofeng BF-F9V2+. I do not have any licenses yet.

After reading multiple forums, it seems that it would be illegal for me to transmit on FRS frequencies. However, from the FCC website, my understanding is that FRS channels are free to use so long as the transmission power is 2W and the bandwidth is 12.5 kHz. If I constrain my Baofeng to these parameters, can I legally transmit on FRS frequencies (aside from the 0.5W channels of course)? If not, why?

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/family-radio-service-frs

Thank you!!

It's not "legal" per say, but are you gonna get busted by the FCC? Not a chance. The FCC doesn't even go after rules violations on licensed radio services for violators that have been jamming, playing music, recordings, personal attacks, etc. etc. for years on end, and they even know who the violators are.
I would say, use your best judgement using this radio for those license by rule frequencies. A family chit chat over these radios are not gonna scramble black helicopters, FCC enforcement agents, or anything like that.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's not "legal" per say, but are you gonna get busted by the FCC? Not a chance. The FCC doesn't even go after rules violations on licensed radio services for violators that have been jamming, playing music, recordings, personal attacks, etc. etc. for years on end, and they even know who the violators are.
I would say, use your best judgement using this radio for those license by rule frequencies. A family chit chat over these radios are not gonna scramble black helicopters, FCC enforcement agents, or anything like that.

Everything you say about the enforcement is true...but it's still illegal.

Otto

Everything you say about the enforcement is true...but it's still illegal.

Yes, it's "technically" against the law. A law that's not enforced, at least not at the end user level.
I would not lose much sleep knowing that people are using Bungfeng, or whatever CCR on the MURS or FRS frequencies. It will impact virtually no one using those frequencies. How would anyone know you where using a CCR on FRS? That's why I stated to the OP to use their best judgement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.