• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-6R

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5zjb

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased this UV-6R and set it up to be a scanner for local police, etc. I do have it working and scanning but sitting it next to my radio shack scanner I find that it never stops scanning even when it should. It will receive traffic when not scanning and just sitting on a channel but it will not stop scanning so its useless. Does anyone know why this would be? I can't find any settings that would stop the scan feature from working.

Lawman51

It sounds like you have an issue in the programming. Did you use the software to set it up or do it on the keypad? I have a F9V2+ and it works fine in the scan mode for public safety.

pto

Feed Provider
Take the PL, CTCSS out of the radio,,, Above a particular step...

It is a fact that These radios will not <scan> above a certain PL, CTCSS.

I have one, (do not use it much), and have programmed several for others,,
they work fine.

OK, I have Motorola,, Kenwood, Yaesu, Vertex,,,, I lost count...
Lighten up.

Let the rants begin... JoeyC,,, You first.........................

pabloc

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased this UV-6R and set it up to be a scanner for local police, etc. I do have it working and scanning but sitting it next to my radio shack scanner I find that it never stops scanning even when it should. It will receive traffic when not scanning and just sitting on a channel but it will not stop scanning so its useless. Does anyone know why this would be? I can't find any settings that would stop the scan feature from working.

I have the same issue. Please let me know if you found a solution

Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Does it not receive anything, or receive for a second or two and then continue scanning?

KD8DVR

Why would you buy a transceiver if you already have a scanner? The scanner has a much better scan speed.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Why would you buy a transceiver if you already have a scanner? The scanner has a much better scan speed.

I started using a UV-5X3 with only six channels in it to replace two Minitor pagers. I have scanners, I have Moto XTS 3000 and XTS2500 radios, but the UV-5X3 is nearly the same size as a Minitor V, while being able to scan VHF and UHF ... if only it did low band it could replace all the pagers.

Yea yea it'll never really replace the pagers. It can't alert with tone or vibrate, it is not nearly as durable, and other issues ... but for the most part ... with only six channels in scan it is pretty darn good for $45. Fits easily into a Minitor V case also.

KD8DVR

I started using a UV-5X3 with only six channels in it to replace two Minitor pagers. I have scanners, I have Moto XTS 3000 and XTS2500 radios, but the UV-5X3 is nearly the same size as a Minitor V, while being able to scan VHF and UHF ... if only it did low band it could replace all the pagers.

Yea yea it'll never really replace the pagers. It can't alert with tone or vibrate, it is not nearly as durable, and other issues ... but for the most part ... with only six channels in scan it is pretty darn good for $45. Fits easily into a Minitor V case also.
Ok. Yeah. 6 channels wouldn't be too bad. The scan speed has improved over other models.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

Ziggy925

There are some videos on YouTube regarding the Baufeng and scanning. You will have to use software and a cable to make this work.

Status
Not open for further replies.