• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV082 Software MSCOMM32.OCX Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepags

Hi All,
First time poster here and I'm asuuming that this is the correct forum for this question. I'm successfully using CHiRP to program my UV-82. My understanding, however is that you nee to use the OEM Baofeng software in order to set the radio to display the alphanumeric name of the channel instead of the numeric channel frequency.

Each time I try to install the OEM software (UV82_CPS_VIP), it comes up with an error that says:

"Component 'MSCOMM32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid."

I'm using a fairly fresh and updated version of Windows 10. I've tried compatibility modes with no avail. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

rtorella

Premium Subscriber
I had that same problem with the MSCOMM32.OCX. Try right clicking on the setup file and click on "install as admin". If I remember correct, that fixed mine. In regards to CHIRP, you can select more options than the Baofeng Software. In CHIRP, click on the settings tab, on the left, just below the memories tab. First section "basic settings", box 6 & 7 are where you can select to show channel, name or freq by using the drop down. I keep display "A" on name and display "b" on freq. That way if I forget one or another, I can flip thru either the name or freq of my programmed channels quickly. I have tried both CHIRP and the Baofeng software and on my UV-82HP + BF-F8HP, CHIRP is much more flexible with more setting tweaks. One suggestion though that many miss!! In CHIRP, once you have your settings the way you want them, go to File, Save As and give the file a name like "working copy". First, you want to create a folder in your My Documents folder in Win 10. I named my folder Baofeng UV-82HP Backups 2016. I then pointed the "save as" to that folder. Then saved the "working copy there. I then open Windows File Manager to verify the file was there. Then make another folder there called Working Copy and copy/paste the new backup file to that folder as well. Now close CHIRP and reopen CHIRP. Then file, open, and point to the "working copy" file. Once that loads in CHIRP, you are ready for the important next step. Reset your Baofeng back to Stock, I believe menu 40 and make sure and do "all". This will return it to out of box firmware version and stock settings. Once the radio has rebooted you will have 2 pre programmed channels. Channel 1 140.000 and channel 127 will have something as well. Now open CHIRP and plug in your cable. Make sure that you have menu#7 dual watch off and you are on VFO A when you program. Also, remove the antenna as the UV-82HP can run into a problem when saving a channel and it happens to get activity. For example, I could not save my local NOAA to any channel! Then I removed the antenna as NOAA was continuously transmitting. After the antenna removal, NOAA saved to channel immediately. Just a little tip there. Ok, back to the programming. You have reset back to factory, opened CHIRP, plugged in your cable, turned on your radio to VFO A. Now go 4th top tab and select "radio" then "download from radio". After that completes and loads on the CHIRP screen, do like you did with the first saved file. File, Save As, point to the folder in My Docs. Now name this file "Original UV-82HP Firmware" and save to file. Open Win 10 file manager and go to that new file. Create another folder with same name "Original UV-82HP Firmware" and move the new same filename into that folder. Now close CHIRP, reopen CHIRP and play with the settings. For example, the Display A + B name, freq choices., Once you have all your settings the way you want them, go to File, Save. You want to overwrite your original "working copy". Then go to "radio" and select "upload to radio". After complete, your UV82 will reboot itself. Then close CHIRP and go to your Backup file folder in My Documents. Save the entire folder to another source such as an external hard drive or thumb drive. I also emailed myself the "original firmware" file and saved it in a folder there. This way, if your UV-82 ever runs into a problem, you can open CHIRP, go to the original firmware folder, open that file, and upload to your radio. Just a suggestion for you. This way you will always have a duplicate of the actual firmware that came on your radio. There are other versions at BaofengTech and other sources. However, it is better to have the actual latest firware version in the event you ever need it right? Hope this helps....Sounds like a lot but trust me, it is easier than it sounds. I backup my entire folder whenever I create a new file of change the working copy. I actually have two working copies. One that I make changes with and 2nd as a backup in case I want to roll it back. I call them "working copy" followed by the date. 73....Ray

mikepags

Wow!

This all worked. Thanks for the great information, Ray. That was totally and completely helpful. I appreciate all the time you spent on this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.