• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2NJS

The radio is small, cute, good looking, and quirky as hell. If you're at all familiar with portables it doesn't take long to figure out at least a basic understanding of its system. For $50 or it's a good learning tool. The information site at miklor.com/uv5r is a gold mine of useful information.

miklor.com/uv5r

W2IBC

You did the right thing. now get a diamond antenna and a lapel microphone and you will have a nice little radio.

K3CFC

eh i got a speaker mic coming soon.

doubt ill be chainging the antenna any. the stock one is the right size imo. never liked having a huge stick on a ht. (aka armpit beater) did that with a dj-580. fixing the bnc every month or so got annoying dude to the stress the armpit beater puts on the connector.

k3cfc

Silent Key
eh i got a speaker mic coming soon.

doubt ill be chainging the antenna any. the stock one is the right size imo. never liked having a huge stick on a ht. (aka armpit beater) did that with a dj-580. fixing the bnc every month or so got annoying dude to the stress the armpit beater puts on the connector.

To each their own. it's the difference of hitting a repeater or not. i have one on my t7h for about 10 years and never had a problem. as for an arm pit beater a shoe string works wonders.

Have a great day

K3CFC

W2IBC

To each their own. it's the difference of hitting a repeater or not. i have one on my t7h for about 10 years and never had a problem. as for an arm pit beater a shoe string works wonders.

Have a great day

K3CFC

yea i only use 1 repeater and im always close eough to hit it with the stock antenna. so yea.

N2PYS

Premium Subscriber
Yeah guys both Diamond and Comet make an antenna that will directly screw onto these radios (I have them also) and if you want really awesome antenna use on Amazon they sell for 18.95 a Kenwood Speaker mic that the antenna arraches to the Mic itself getting it off your belt and out from under all your clothes, also if you bought the 5r the one that says BAOFENG just above the keyboard the standard battery pack is 1800MAH which is one of the best in the industry but for 25.95 at Amazon also you can buy the hi capacity pack that is 3800MAH which when other people are worried because they have no power you will keep on trucking ( about 26-27 hours of use time and standby time of weeks) if you have any thing other than the 5r you will need to spend time with a dremel or very very sharp knife to carve some plastic of the pack tp make it fit. They are great Radios though especially when you spend the 24 bucks on the diamond or comet antenna which are also broadband scanner antenna's.

Peace

WF3J

Premium Subscriber
UV5R programming

For everyone's information, RT Systems has come out with programming software and a cable to program the UV5R radio. It is actually more expensive than the radio itself. But, I have used RT Systems software and cables to program most all of my Yaesu and Icom radios with success. Having all ready successfully programmed the UV5R with Chirp for myself and other local hams that bought them, I don't plan on getting it, but thought it was worth putting the information out there.

TinMan61

For everyone's information, RT Systems has come out with programming software and a cable to program the UV5R radio. It is actually more expensive than the radio itself. But, I have used RT Systems software and cables to program most all of my Yaesu and Icom radios with success. Having all ready successfully programmed the UV5R with Chirp for myself and other local hams that bought them, I don't plan on getting it, but thought it was worth putting the information out there.

Thanks, I'm going to check it out.

Honestly, I've not been in amateur radio very long (last October) - and most if that has been having fun on HF - but it's a little frustrating trying to figure out how to operate on 2m? There are so many things you have to do, tone/no tone, TX/RX offset, finding a workable repeater...then figuring out /ifhow it wants to be worked...it all seems very confusing...

I bought my HF rig to stay in touch with family a few hundred miles away - works like a dream - but then there's the family locally (within 30 miles) that I'd also like to contact (and they would too)....but quite unexpectedly...the local 2m contact is the most difficult?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

k3cfc

Silent Key
Thanks, I'm going to check it out.

Honestly, I've not been in amateur radio very long (last October) - and most if that has been having fun on HF - but it's a little frustrating trying to figure out how to operate on 2m? There are so many things you have to do, tone/no tone, TX/RX offset, finding a workable repeater...then figuring out /ifhow it wants to be worked...it all seems very confusing...

I bought my HF rig to stay in touch with family a few hundred miles away - works like a dream - but then there's the family locally (within 30 miles) that I'd also like to contact (and they would too)....but quite unexpectedly...the local 2m contact is the most difficult?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't understand what is so hard about 2 meter. put in the repeater frequency + or - offset the pl tone and write it to memory and your done. your manual should provide all the info you need. now there is a guide you can buy for cheap on ebay it's called nifty quick reference guide. you get it for your radio and it is broken down to simple. take a look.

K3CFC

W2NJS

I received the RTS program for the UV-5R early last week. It works very well, but there were a few things I had to figure out or experience before it would work properly. First thing was that I failed to push the connector into the radio all the way, which resulted in no comms with the radio. One other thing I found was that I have to read the radio before it will allow me to write to it. Other than those two things it's a good program, and when you put in a 2M or 440 receive channel it automatically enters the transmit channel in the next column with a standard offset that you can, if necessary, overwrite very easily. One other item that I did not have trouble with was loading the correct driver and selecting the correct COM port -- the program does all that automatically.

F

feets

Hmmmm.

I'm a brand new ham(tech) with the uv-5r. No problems programing with chirp. No problems hitting repeaters @ 10 miles+. Even good simplex at about 8 miles with another uv-5r that was inside the house at both 70ct and 2meters.

Took some reading(learning) from those that have worked with the thing but for $47 and a $15 test fee, how can a person be a ham any cheaper? Yes, I'm dirt poor. Heh. Okay, not quite that poor.

I did get the bigger battery. It didn't need plastic removal, fits perfect. And, I did pick up another antennae.

Until I can go bigger and better, get my general, I'm pleased.

TheSpaceMan

If you really want to have fun with these little radios, just try hooking them up to a portable beam antenna like the ones made by Elk or Arrow! You will be amazed at how you can hit those repeaters way out in the distance, using just 5 Watts or less!

k3cfc

Silent Key
If you really want to have fun with these little radios, just try hooking them up to a portable beam antenna like the ones made by Elk or Arrow! You will be amazed at how you can hit those repeaters way out in the distance, using just 5 Watts or less!

I looked up the Arrow antennas and the 3 element beam look's impressive. i am going to build one of these and see how it works.

Thank you

K3CFC

W2NJS

Even with the new RTS software package the radio is quirky/backwards/hard to figure, etc. I found that to load a program you must always first read the radio, but the book would have you think that this is a "one time only" step, which it definitely is not. The other thing is that only some of the setup options can be activated from the keypad, others have to be done via the software, such as the channel names. Another thing I've found is that the audio is crummy until/unless you turn up the volume, at which point the audio sounds pretty good. The voice confirmation of keypad commands is a convenience; it confirms that the action you've taken has been accepted. Also, I hope the Part 90 nitpickers are now happy with the fact that Baofeng lists the FCC Part 90 certification number on the radio's inside sticker. Maybe that'll end the arguments once and for all.

k3cfc

Silent Key
Even with the new RTS software package the radio is quirky/backwards/hard to figure, etc. I found that to load a program you must always first read the radio, but the book would have you think that this is a "one time only" step, which it definitely is not. The other thing is that only some of the setup options can be activated from the keypad, others have to be done via the software, such as the channel names. Another thing I've found is that the audio is crummy until/unless you turn up the volume, at which point the audio sounds pretty good. The voice confirmation of keypad commands is a convenience; it confirms that the action you've taken has been accepted. Also, I hope the Part 90 nitpickers are now happy with the fact that Baofeng lists the FCC Part 90 certification number on the radio's inside sticker. Maybe that'll end the arguments once and for all.

The nitpickers happy nope there will always be somebody to cause a problem. this is the main reason i go by the rule silence is golden. if you just keep smiling it will make them wonder what your up to.

73's and happy Baofeng

K3CFC

TheSpaceMan

I looked up the Arrow antennas and the 3 element beam look's impressive. i am going to build one of these and see how it works.

Thank you

K3CFC
No prob! Lots of plans to build your own 2 Meter and 440 beam antennas on the internet. I once made one just using wire coat hangers and a broomstick, and it worked well!

k3cfc

Silent Key
No prob! Lots of plans to build your own 2 Meter and 440 beam antennas on the internet. I once made one just using wire coat hangers and a broomstick, and it worked well!

That is funny. back in my cb daze when ask what kind of antenna i was using i always said two rusty coat hangars twisted together. question where would you get the aluminum rods for the j-pole?

73's

K3CFC

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I got my UV5R and love the thing better than my Kenwood. I got it, an extra battery, lapel Mic and programming software/cable. Set to go for severe weather season now. I had a Wouxun UVD1P for a year, abd while it was a good radio, I was offered a trade I couldn't turn down. These UV5R radios will be a hot seller at ham fests all over the country this year. Our local on here in Tullahoma TN is March 9th and I'm sure there will be a distributor there. Last year, they had a Wouxun dealer there, and he sold out of his radios in 2 hrs, so I expect the same to happen w these little gems. t is great to know you can get the radio, accesories and all for around $125 give or take.

I will probably pick up a mobile antenna and adapter if necessary for mobile use when traveling in the wife's car. I had thought about the battery eliminator but won't be necessary because I got 2 batteries and seemingly last forever. Mostly travel to Indiana once a year and back so the batteries will do fine for what I need.

Last edited:

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
The nitpickers happy nope there will always be somebody to cause a problem. this is the main reason i go by the rule silence is golden. if you just keep smiling it will make them wonder what your up to.

73's and happy Baofeng

K3CFC

Happy Baofeng.....I like this!

I do agree that the user manual is not user friendly at all, but there is a ton of information on Google pertaining to this. I always tell people this who complain about the radios "You paid a very affordable price for the radio, don't expect $150+ radio features out of a $45 radio"

W2NJS

My UV-5R cost me about $69, including shipping, from a US supplier/shipper, including radio, two batteries, drop-in charger, program disk, programming cable, and combination earphone/microphone, about three weeks ago or so. I found after a few days that it also does the complete UHF band up to and including 512 mHz, transmit and receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.