Base antenna change up

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
So I'm thinking about changing up my base scanner antenna this spring.

I live about 1 street away from a building with a fairly strong pager transmitter (149.770 Mhz I think) on it (I can literally see it from my back door) and I believe it probably does affect a bit of my general listening and less than 5 km's away from another commercial tower with other localized transmitters on it including a weatheradio (162.425 Mhz) site as well. Also on this site is a local FM Broadcast transmitter (96.1 Mhz) at an ERP of approx. 7,100 watts. (The studio transmitter is actually closer (less then 1 km) to me then the main transmitter site (Less than 5 km's))

My overall listening is decent for my needs, however I know I can get further stations from my area and I feel that some of the other signals in my area are bringing in too much interference (intermod) surrounding the VHF/UHF/800 mhz band I want to listen to. My mobile listening actually suprises me sometimes in areas around town and in the rural areas.

My base antenna is currently a Jetstream JTD1 / Workman T601 Discone Scanner Antenna about 30 ft. off the ground.

I am thinking about changing it up to the following:

Comtelco A11331B-Y Transceiver/Scanner Antenna for VHF/UHF/800Mhz with NMO base (Which I currently use as my mobile antenna and works great) using a TRAM Land Mobile Base Ground Plane Kit hoping to lessen my gain perhaps in order to hear more stations distance wise. (ex. ctrl. channels for area trunking systems)

When I stand on my roof I can clearly see the paging tower right across from me 1 street behind me, and I'm right in the line of sight from the other communications towers a few km's away from me, which are on a fairly high hill overlooking our town.

You're thoughts on the configuration change up.

N3JI

Sounds like a lot going on there...

Intermod is a tough nut to crack. If you think the scanner's front end is getting overloaded, you could try notching the closer transmitter to see if it helps. A coax stub as a notch filter is a cheap option to try.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a lot going on there...

Intermod is a tough nut to crack. If you think the scanner's front end is getting overloaded, you could try notching the closer transmitter to see if it helps. A coax stub as a notch filter is a cheap option to try.
I don't notice the interference on the scanner much really. But I know it's there though.

I've used an sdr to kinda scope the frequencies out just to see what's happening in amongst the band's especially where the pager and weather frequencies are.

Status
Not open for further replies.