• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

base scanner antenna mount/coax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to setup my scanner for base use at home and have some coax/ mounting questions.

The house where I am living has an old Sat dish. I am going to remove the dish from it's mounting arm. I am going make a mount to attach a discone antenna to the mounting arm. I want to use the existing 75 ohm coax run for a few reasons: Exsisting coax is already run and exsisting coax has grounding wire(not currently hooked to ground) for purposes of lighting protection. My questions are:
1. Will the impeadance of the coax cause performance issues compared to 50 ohm coax?
2. If the coax is usable, where should I connect the ground wire at the scanner end? Should I just wire it to the ground of a 3 prong ac power plug and plug it into the wall or find another ground?

Does this sound like a good combination to try or am I just off my rocker? To start it will only cost me the antenna and a couple of connectors

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Depends on how long the cable is more than anything from what I understand. If it's less than 50ft or so, you may not notice much difference over a 50ohm cable. That said, I have LMR400 run to my attic and notice a slight difference. The cable is 75ft and is actually way too long. I will probably replace it with something around 30-40ft instead at some point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.