Base Scanner Pre-amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingnut7zero5

I am looking to find a base preamp for my BCD996T. I have done searches on the internet and haven't found much in the way of base units. I can find units for handheld scanners but would prefer a base unit. I found a unit by ramsey electronics that you can get in an unbuilt kit and add an enclosure but I am looking for a premade kit if possible. GRE made one in the past but doesn't anymore according to their website. Would like something that is broadband enough for VHF through 900MHZ. Any help would be helpfull and thanks in advance.

fredg

Premium Subscriber
I use a handheld pre-amp on my base and it works fine, it does not know if it connected to a hanheld or a base unit... and the base and handheld pre-amps are basicly the same.

N1BHH

A preamp may not be the best thing to get. If you are in a busy city or close to a bustling metropolitan area, you will suffer from overload. You may also hear stuff that is the result of mixing products. But if you are out in the country, then a preamp will do the trick. But above all, a good quality outdoor antenna, on the roof is a good place, and fed with quality coax and you'll hear loads of stuff.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
In most cases, any major metropolitan area is more than enough to overload the front end of any consumer scanner (including the high end ones) just by putting up a good outdoor antenna with quality coax, nevermind adding a pre-amp! The scanner was designed for use with its own antenna, because that's what 99% (probably) of users use.

If you're going to put in a preamp, be very certain you ALSO get an FM broadcast band trap (or that the preamp doesn't add gain there) first, as that's usually the first problem child in urban areas when you go to an outside antenna. (Unless, lucky you, there's a cell site right nearby to wipe you out).

If, say, your installation required you to put an antenna 200' away from the set to get good height, then YES, there is a reason for a good preamp to get rid of the losses in the coax. Note that the preamp has to be at the antenna, not behind the scanner, or it does no real good at all, anyway. Every installation is unique.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I agree with the others that in a metro area you probably don't need an amp, it might do more harm than good. That said there are some decent choices out there:

I have had great results with a Wingard TV amp. Since the range of TV freqs and scanner freqs are all but identical the ranges covered are the same. This is a heavy duty, metal cased amp that is very well built. I feed a Stridsberg 8 port multi-coupler with it. This set up works great with an attic mounted RS ScanTenna style antenna.

You can use other brands of TV amps. but you might want to look for a high quality one and spend the extra bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.