Base unites with remote heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_k

I'm looking to do a base install in my vehicle. I know of plenty Amateur bases that have remote heads which can be mounted with the unit stuffed away.

Is there any comparable units in the scanning world? I don't want to be redundant in asking this, but I couldn't find anything.

jon_k

morfis said:
Icom PCR1500 / PCR2500

This looks like a fully software controlled radio which would require a computer to operate! Very cool product, especially since it is up to your computer to control it, which means it could support /ANY/ system you could write a program to handle. (Provoice could be broken if you had the right program.)

However, it doesn't seem to feasible for a mobile installation. I don't have room for a radio mount in my vehicle in the front. However, mounting a remote head with a cable going under/behind the seats would be perfect. This is what I'm going to do with my amateur rig, and was wondering if a trunk-capable analog scanner was up to this as well.

N8IAA

jon_k said:
This looks like a fully software controlled radio which would require a computer to operate! Very cool product, especially since it is up to your computer to control it, which means it could support /ANY/ system you could write a program to handle. (Provoice could be broken if you had the right program.)

However, it doesn't seem to feasible for a mobile installation. I don't have room for a radio mount in my vehicle in the front. However, mounting a remote head with a cable going under/behind the seats would be perfect. This is what I'm going to do with my amateur rig, and was wondering if a trunk-capable analog scanner was up to this as well.
The R1500 and R2500 are independent of the computer. They just don't display all the functions that would be on the computer.
Larry

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just to set the record straight; Amateur "base" transceivers don't have detachable control heads, mobile rigs do. Most modern rigs are CAT controllable which makes for an interesting scenario, a remote base operated via the internet. I know of such stations where it's not just the radio that's controllable but the ENTIRE ham station; antenna switching, rotor control, the whole ball of wax.

Now ain't we just special? (;->)

af5rn

jon_k said:
Thank you for referencing this product. I'll start saving up for my mobile rig. I have a growing list of gear I need to obtain and just need the funds to obtain it now.
Yeah, the 996 is arguably the best mobile out there right now, and that remote head is made specifically for it (and the BCT-15, which is basically just a 996 without digital). The only digital systems in our area are Mansfield and Grand Prairie right now, although I think there are some Dallas county area systems that are looking at digital in the near future.

The remote control head will also work on the BCD396T or BR330T handhelds, so you can use one scanner for double duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.