Basic scanner for Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul3533

Looking at BC346XT or BC396XT for listening to police, fire and ems in Indiana. Would either of these work and what are the advantages of the BC396XT? From what I read Indiana SAFE-T system is analog but then I see some say it is a digital system. Is there a difference for trunked systems? If it is analog will it go digital sometime soon? Is there a better choice of scanner for this system. Thanks for any advise.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
SAFE-T is a Motorola system that uses BOTH analog and digital talkgroups. If you want to listen to ISP, you'll need a BC396XT.

Where are you located?

W9NES

BC396XT is digital and will work on project safe-t.You can use the Uniden 396XT on both analog and digital systems. The Uniden 346XT will not work on digital systems like safe-t.The Uniden 346XT will not work on digital systems.

paul3533

Thanks for the info. Elkhart, Noble and Lagrange counties are the main areas interested in listening to. Is there a better entry level scanner than the 396XT?

K9IEL

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Elkhart, Noble and Lagrange counties are the main areas interested in listening to. Is there a better entry level scanner than the 396XT?
Paul, my roommate and I are both hams. I have the Radio Shack Pro-96 (current model is PRO-106, I believe) and he has the 396XT.

In my opinion, you'll be fine with whatever you choose. Both the Uniden and Radio Shack/GRE radios do a good job. My biggest frustration with my radio (and my roommate's) was learning to program it. But through a little toying around, you'll figure out how it works and how to best program it to suit your needs. I highly recommend buying a programming cable, software, and a Radio Reference subscription to program your radio. It makes things SO much easier and it'll get you listening in no time.

Depending on your needs, you may also want to consider a Uniden Home Patrol. It looks like a great little radio for the more casual scanning enthusiast. I've heavily considered buying one as my mobile unit so I don't have to spend time programming my radio before a road trip, but it's not top-priority for me at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.