Baton Rouge and Lake Charles ref Latie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landman

Does anyone know if the agencies that use the Baton Rouge 800 MHz system will be switching to Latie?

Same question for the Lake Charles 800 MHz system.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I don't *know*, but it would make good sense, especially if the EBR and BR city systems combined the resources (read alloted frequencies) with LATIE. Same with Calcasieu, Sulphur and Lake Charles. The bottom line is budget constraints. The radios cost money, and not every city/parish has extra funds for upgrading radios. As equipment is replaced, it would make sense to do so then.

red8

I recall a short time back of an article that had appeared in the Advocate, of the City and Parish of Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge was getting some Federal monies for a new
interop system that would include the parishes of East and West Baton Rouge, Livivngston,
Iberville, and West Feliciana. However I have not heard anything about that since.
red8

brscanning

EBR SO on LATIE

I have been going over the recent audio captures and it appears that at least part of the East Baton Rouge SO has gone to the 700 Mhz system. I have not ID'd the talkgroups yet but I have new ID's from 17050 to 17056. 17054 appears to be EBR SO Talk South.

KD5ZZK

EBRSO on LATIE

Well David, you are partially correct. Here is the information that I have.

Talkgroups

17050 EBRSO 1A Dispatch North
17051 EBRSO 1B Dispatch South

They are in the process of issuing the Motorola XTS 5000R portables. Some deputies have them, some don't. These are dual band 800/700mHz radios. I've heard these LATIE talk groups on 800mHz from Site 131. The database on here incorrectly lists LATIE Site 131 as Baton Rouge-EBRSO. It should correctly list it as Port Allen-WBRSO. The two LATIE control frequencies listed for Site 131 are 866.4000 and 867.3000mHz. These frequencies are licensed under WQEH947. This license belongs to the West Baton Rouge Parish Communications District. The tower is located in Port Allen,LA. It seems that EBRSO is on the LATIE system but is still using 800mHz on the Port Allen tower!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
brscanning said:
I have been going over the recent audio captures and it appears that at least part of the East Baton Rouge SO has gone to the 700 Mhz system. I have not ID'd the talkgroups yet but I have new ID's from 17050 to 17056. 17054 appears to be EBR SO Talk South.
I was going to mention this somewhere; I noticed both 17050 & 17051 while passing through on the way to/from NOLA Friday and Monday. Glad you and KD5ZZK have added to the knowledge base.

ke5lvt

A several state agencies are switching to duel band radios (700-800 mhz) east and west br parish are also in testing mode and have duel band radios. iberville parish is also in testing mode. baton rouge city has a lot of radios but are not going to 700 any time soon.

Landman

When you say that BRPD has a lot of radios do you mean radios that do 700 and 800? Do you know if they plan to eventually switch to LATIE?

ke5lvt

yes baton rouge has a lot of duel band radio (700-800mhz), and yes they will be going to 700 digital, im not sure when due to br city needing a lot more radios. as far as i know everyone using br citys trunking system will be moved to the state's 700 system, whitch is on the same tower.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Vinton Police and Ward 7 Fire in Calcasieu Parish are on LATIE. Rumor has it that Sulphur will be switching soon. They all have capable radios. They are waiting on a Grant or Budget to Flash upgrade the radios to be reprogrammed. I'll try to keep everyone posted. I listen to LATIE at work and found Ward 7 the other night. I keep getting seems like skip with a NOPD or St Martin Parish ID popping up on the Lake Charles tower every now and then.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
radiosquirrel said:
... I keep getting seems like skip with a NOPD or St Martin Parish ID popping up on the Lake Charles tower every now and then.
More likely someone with a massively programmed radio (radio tech or maybe an OEM person) is flipping through TG's. This isn't so much of a problem right now, but as the system grows and gets more activity, such "across the state" monitoring is going to have to be looked at from a system load standpoint and addressed at either a disciplinary level or a system programming level.

Traveling (as I do occasionally) across the state on I-10, it would be unusual for me not to pick up Jeff Parish SO in St. Martin parish, not to mention other strange things all across the state. At some point the offending radio is going to be ID'd and such "foreign" monitoring will be shut down.

Landman

I have made the same observations. I think much of it us due to users listening to their home channels when travelling out of town. For example twice recently when I went to Lake Charles I was hearing Troop B on 700 in the Lake Charles area. After hearing them for a while both times I spotted a Troop B unit heading Eastbound on I-10 leaving Lake Charles. Another time I was sitting at home and began hearing Avoyelles parish traffic on the Lafayette tower. A few minutes later an old buddy of mine from Avoyelles showed with his portable radio turned on in his truck and he was monitoring his home channels. You're right. They need to educate the users about how trunking system work, how the radios affiliate with sites, and how affiliations of too many talkgroups on one tower will overload the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.