• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Battery and Charging System

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery in my vehicle let me down when the temp dropped this week. The vehicle sits a lot and, when driven, is limited to short trips (15 to 20 minutes in stop and go traffic). Another important factor is that there is a lift on the vehcle that is used to load/unload an elderly handicapped relative.

I know that this combination is hell on the battery and I am looking for the best way to deal with it. Options include:

1. Trickle charge the battery when not in use

2. Install a dual purpose battery (i.e. Optima yellow top)

3. Add a battery (least preferred option)

4. Replace the alternator with a higher output unit that also works at lower RPMs.

What say ye experts?

Thanks for your input. I'm afraid that those battery protectors wouldn't help much on a vehicle that sits unused as much as mine. I have purchased a dual purpose battery and will use a float charger to keep it topped off.

flythunderbird

Premium Subscriber
Get something like this and check the battery fluid levels at least once a year. Top up with distilled water.

Battery Tender Junior, 0.75A Maintainer | Canadian Tire
I agree with slicerwizard. I used to have to buy a new battery for my Cub Cadet every year because it would either sulfate and short out or freeze every winter. I bought the Battery Tender Junior five years ago for winter use and have never bought a battery for the Cadet since ... I pull the battery out in late fall, top off the water level, and leave it on the tender all winter. Works fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.