SDS100/SDS200: Battery Charge Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Premium Subscriber
The manual doesn't say, so I was curious how long the battery needs to charge before it's good to go. Just got my new SDS100 today.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Unlike the 436, the SDS100 has a "smart" charger. When the batteries are charged, the charger recognizes that and shuts down. The unit will charge from a computer and other low amperage sources but it will take longer. Uniden recommends a minimum of 1 amp to charge the unit at a full rate.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The manual doesn't say, so I was curious how long the battery needs to charge before it's good to go. Just got my new SDS100 today.
IIRC, the figure I've seen for charging from the point where you get a low battery warning, to fully charged, is in the 8-9 hour range, using the included adapter & cable. However, with the SDS100, you can charge and scan at the same time. If not using the included adapter, your power source should be able to deliver around two amps to both charge and scan without issues. Also, be sure that you use either the original cable, or at least one capable of carrying that much current. There have been reports of the scanners 'not charging' because a cable, with too small gauge wiring, could not carry the needed charge voltage/amperage.

(KK4JUG mentions one amp, but I was thinking that the requirement was higher. Would have to look for UPMan's answer, some time back, to verify.)

See https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/battery-charging-questions.384142/#post-3087291
and https://forums.radioreference.com/t...gh-and-low-battery-charge.371508/post-2943616

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Hiegtx, my mention of 1 amp came out of the manual but, admittedly, it came from the first draft of the manual. I think they were saying 1 amp is the minimum for a full charge in a reasonable time. The unit comes with a 2 amp charger and I use a 3 amp charger so that I can sometimes use the radio while it's charging.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Buy the charger / extra battery kit and never think about it again. Best $60 I've spent in a while. Get up in the morning and swap batteries and go.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Buy the charger / extra battery kit and never think about it again. Best $60 I've spent in a while. Get up in the morning and swap batteries and go.
That's a great idea. I bought mine right after it was introduced and it was "on sale" but even at $60, it a good deal for the peace of mind, if nothing else. Having said that, I still occasionally hook up the charger so I can listen and charge at the same time.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber

Excellent advice! I bought two of them, and just grab the extra battery on the way out the door. Now I always have a fully charged battery ready should the need arise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hiegtx, my mention of 1 amp came out of the manual but, admittedly, it came from the first draft of the manual. I think they were saying 1 amp is the minimum for a full charge in a reasonable time. The unit comes with a 2 amp charger and I use a 3 amp charger so that I can sometimes use the radio while it's charging.
I'm using a higher amperage charger as well. The problem with the manual, which as you note was more of a first draft, is that many of the details change after the scanner is out in general use.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I rarely take the radio down to "shut off voltage" and I've never actually put a clock on the charging of the battery but I suspect it's at least 8 hours from low voltage threshold to full charge, if it's receiving full amperage. Get the second battery and you'll probably never be without the radio because, if I remember mine correctly, the radio run time exceeds the battery complete charge time in the external charger.

On a side note, I've used the GPS with the SDS100 on long trips and the cigarette lighter plug provides enough power to keep the radio on a full charge and run the GPS accessory.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It took me about 15 minutes after reading your post to decide to do just that. I hate being tied to a proprietary battery pack, but it's really the only way to go with this radio.

My wife just happened to ask me what I wanted for my birthday... :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It took me about 15 minutes after reading your post to decide to do just that. I hate being tied to a proprietary battery pack, but it's really the only way to go with this radio.

My wife just happened to ask me what I wanted for my birthday... :)
It uses too much power for AAs to be practical. Li-ion is the only reasonable option.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I understand that, but I still don't have to like it! ;) I've been around the scanning hobby for a long time and remember the complaining about the proprietary battery packs on the BC250/296. Then people complained when the 396/396T and other scanners came out and required AA batteries.

You just can't satisfy some people.

It uses too much power for AAs to be practical. Li-ion is the only reasonable option.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Some folks don't realize how much is going on inside the SDS100. I suspect a set of AAs would only last three or four hours. Unlike many other scanners, you can safely charge the battery in the radio. When mine came with the proprietary battery, I didn't give it a second thought.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Some folks don't realize how much is going on inside the SDS100. I suspect a set of AAs would only last three or four hours. Unlike many other scanners, you can safely charge the battery in the radio.

The SDS100 draws about 700mA off 5V USB, so runtime off 4 AAs would be closer to 3 hours than 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.