battery holder help

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny517

hello i have a pro-93
scanner just wandering would it be save to use rechargable batteries in the black holder as long as i dont charge them , just using rechargable batteries in the black holder thanks for youre help

pinkfish457

I have a Pro-93 and I have taken it to NASCAR tracks with non-rechargible batteries in the black battery holder many times. So I would say yes, that should be okay. The difference between the yellow and black holders is the metal tab that makes contact with the terminals. I would put some tape on the metal tab just in case, you couldn't accidently charge it.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
If you compare the black vs. the yellow holder, you'll see the black one is 'missing' part of the contact tab. This prevents the radio from applying charge current to the holder. That's the only difference between them (except the color, of course) ;) You can put either kind of battery in the black holder; neither will be recharged in the radio, and that's the whole intent of having the two kinds.

I have often used the black holder to carry a spare set of charged NiMh batteries.

microx

Yes it works fine.. Alkaline OR rechargeables; black OR yellow holder. I have used the yellow holder many times when I only have alkalines handy. The only issue you might get into is if you plug a DC power source into the scanner, then the yellow holder will try to recharge whatever you have in it, the black will not. In my above example, I have to try to remember if I used the yellow holder with alkalines, and most of the time I check before plugging it in. If you never plug the scanner into DC power, you will have no issues with either holder and either type of batteries.

Bottom line is, it's not advisable to use the yellow holder with alkalines in case you forget and plug it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.