R30 Battery Only 3 Months Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

CQ

Anyone have this issue? The radio is only 3 months old. Maybe the battery's country of origin an issue?

B2.jpg B1.jpg
B3.jpg

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Wow, hope mine doesn’t go bad that fast. Did you contact Icom? I purchased the AA battery case just in case of issues with the one that comes with it.

CQ

Menu/Others/Information/Battery Status will get you to the screen I showed.

Hit_Factor

Do not leave your radio sitting in the charger for long periods after the charge is full.
Is that a historical suggestion or do you know the charger will cook the battery?

A good li ion charger turns off when charge completes, doesn't trickle.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

My battery shows 27 cycles and healthy.

It sits in the charger far longer than it is out.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

nanZor

Quality chargers do indeed shut off, but for the best long-term usage, the problem is li-ion batteries don't like to be at full charge (even out of the charger) for long periods of time. Secondary reactions occur slowly at full charge levels.

So if you aren't going to actually use the radio, don't store it in a fully charged condition - or let it sit charged up for say more than 2 weeks. Use it a little bit to get it away from a full charge. If the radio has a drain of it's own (polling the keyboard for activity when off), then that might satisfactorily cure the problem - until a full discharge occurs because of that. :)

When li-ion batteries are shipped, they are never fully charged for two reasons - the main reason is that you don't want them sitting around in retail / storage fully charged for the secondary reaction issue. The other may be for hazmat shipping concerns.

Basically just stay out of the extremes of full charge or full discharge for long periods of time.

ka1njl

Running it dead and recharging it caused the error to go away.
My battery started showing this error message this weekend so I'm curious, has the error message stayed away since you ran it dead and recharged it? If it has, I need to do that.

CQ

My battery started showing this error message this weekend so I'm curious, has the error message stayed away since you ran it dead and recharged it? If it has, I need to do that.

Yes, running it dead and charging back up worked. I typically keep it plugged in and powered via USB and haven't disconnected since. But it doesn't see much use either, unless I remember to turn it on.

ka1njl

Over the weekend I let the battery run out and I recharged it fully but I still get the error message. It really has no impact except for the inconvenience of seeing it whenever I turn the radio on but I'd like to get rid of it. Should I try depleting the battery again? Any suggestions from those who have experienced this issue will be appreciated.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Over the weekend I let the battery run out and I recharged it fully but I still get the error message. It really has no impact except for the inconvenience of seeing it whenever I turn the radio on but I'd like to get rid of it. Should I try depleting the battery again? Any suggestions from those who have experienced this issue will be appreciated.

That's a bummer.
How did you charge it back up to full, the USB cable or in the charging cradle?

Discharge fully again but this time use the other method to charge from what method you used before.
You would not think it would make a difference but I've seen my R30 battery display not at 100% when using USB over the charge cradle. I could have that reversed also! I also notice the R30 will not honor the setting to keep the backlight Always ON when on External Power and sitting in a powered charging cradle. It knows it is in the cradle when you look at the battery setting in the radios menu but the backlight still times out. The only way I can get it to honor the setting to keep the backlight on when on external power is to plug in a USB cable. So something is odd about how the R30 handles charging when in the cradle.

Either way, as a test, use the other charging method after you run your battery dead again and then charge it back to full and see if the Cycle Count in the radios battery display menu increased by one and also shows 100% now. Hopefully that will work.

edit: Look in the battery display menu and see what the Cycle Count number shows now before you run it dead again!

Hit_Factor

Just out of curiosity are you on firmware 1.10? If not, maybe an update might help.

I suppose charging/discharging behavior could be changed via firmware.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

ka1njl

All good suggestions, thank you. I think my firmware is up to date but I'll check to be sure. I used a USB cable to charge it this time so I'll try again with the cradle to see if that makes a difference. I didn't think of using the cradle but I'll bet it does make a difference.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
All good suggestions, thank you. I think my firmware is up to date but I'll check to be sure. I used a USB cable to charge it this time so I'll try again with the cradle to see if that makes a difference. I didn't think of using the cradle but I'll bet it does make a difference.

Using the charging cradle is worth a shot. How many Cycles does your battery report right now?

Also, definitely check the FW version and get 1.10 if you are using older. I've not heard of anything bad with 1.10 which has been the latest version for the R30 for a pretty long time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.