SDS100/SDS200: Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Well, If I am not mistaken August is over. Anyone at all get the larger battery for the SDS 100? Other than the ones who bought the scanner with the new battery!

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
No. But Uniden just did the clock repair on my 536. I have had it for years! They repaired it in a little over a week. And they paid shipping both ways.

vpasq

Sure wish we could hear something, as I absolutely love my SDS100, with only one complaint - the battery. I am so tired of charging up at minimum twice a day, and I do worry how many times the rubber door will last with the constant open/close but time will tell. Seriously, I keep checking for that one post that says “got my replacement battery today” but none to date. In a perfect world, I really look forward to seeing Uniden sending me the larger battery (and yes, I made sure my account is correct) and advertises sale of an external battery charger! I remain optimistic, that day will come!!!!! Gotta go and charge up the battery��

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
As it has been posted in several threads, no subscribers to RR that are SDS owners have yet to receive an email confirmation from Uniden before they send them out (that I am aware of). When that happens I am sure you will know right along with all of us SDS owners. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.

SCPD

QRT
You do know the new battery is Bigger than the old one meaning it sticks out from the radio like it has a hump on its back right? Looks kind of odd to me.

Attachments

• Looky.jpg
    Looky.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 1,169

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I must say that I am one of those few that has been very disappointed with this radio and the fact that it does not deliver what I thought it would or as advertised. This is not a debate calling for being flamed by fans who will turn it around and make it my fault, just a personal observation. I wish that I had taken that money and put it towards trading my apx 7000 for a apx 8000. The SDS 100 just doesn't fit my needs and applications as a portable device mainly because of low volume and of course a SHORT BATTERY LIFE. The many other problems the radio has would not affect me as much as I would sit on one Phase 2 talk group using a long system hold time ignoring the NAC. The nip it in the bud announcement worked for a while to keep people happy but Uniden it's time for a public update as to when the new battery will be coming as promised. It's only fair to those who spent their hard-earned money for this radio. Thank you. PS before I get flamed here the reason I bought the radio was I believed all the advertising and hype so I do take some responsibility here. I am using the latest FW and the radio is properly programmed. Now, you can Flame away. HaHaHa.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
trentbob, in the end it's all about wants and needs specific to the radio user. You shouldn't be flamed for saying that the SDS100 doesn't fit your needs and applications as a portable device. Maybe your wants and needs are beyond that of the SDS100 so much so that you would be better off with a commercial radio. Only you know that. I think Uniden has stepped up to the plate with the battery business, and as all of us in any working environment knows, expected and actual arrival time of any product or accessory or replacement part depends on many variables, some of which are not controllable by the customer service end of things. Considering the logistics involved, I am not surprised that the 'expected arrival time' and the 'actual arrival time' of the replacement battery differ. I don't know the Uniden sales statistics of the new SDS100, but I imagine it's in the thousands. My attitude is - it will get here when it gets here - and yeah I want it as badly as anyone else.

JD
kf4anc

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
As it has been posted in several threads, no subscribers to RR that are SDS owners have yet to receive an email confirmation from Uniden before they send them out (that I am aware of). When that happens I am sure you will know right along with all of us SDS owners. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.

Amen.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I'm likely one of the few who is glad they haven't shipped. :confused:

My address was over a year out of date in the Uniden database. So change of address had expired. Changed it about a week ago, hopefully that soon enough. :D

Mike

P.S. yes, I did read all the comments about making sure address was correct. One of those moments when you look at something repeatedly and never see it. over & over & ...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes Tailgater you got it. When my County went Phase 2 and we realize that the x36 didn't work well because of the heavy LSM environment on the East Coast and the Whistler P2 capable radios did not work at all in our County P2 system which is flat-out fraud, We realized that to do our job we would need apx7000 radios and we got them and of course they work perfectly. They also pull my pants down so when I saw the advertising and hype for the SDS 100 I went for it. I do realize that one radio is a professional tool and one radio is a toy, a very expensive toy. It would be a good idea for Uniden to make some kind of announcement on the nip it in the bud thread to prevent these kinds of persistent exchanges. I understand that they released the radio too soon perhaps in response to Whistler. With all the problems the SDS 100 has I guarantee you the new Whistler LSM radio or should I say the modified ancient psr-800 isn't going to work very well so I don't think Uniden needed to be threatened and could have taken the time too perfect the radio before it was released. Let's hope there is an announcement soon from Uniden regarding the disposition of the battery.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
You do know the new battery is Bigger than the old one meaning it sticks out from the radio like it has a hump on its back right? Looks kind of odd to me.

WOW!!! I had no idea it was that much larger that it would stick out like that.

How in the heck are we supposed to find a decent case for the radio with that Quasimodo Hump ?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Yes Troy it is a good option but Bob has more needs for a Talkgroup Hold Feature. He already has a commercial option he is using but needs more options than that offers. So I hope Bob can find a solution that will work for him be it a larger battery or a new option that is not available yet.

troymail

Silent Key
Yes Troy it is a good option but Bob has more needs for a Talkgroup Hold Feature. He already has a commercial option he is using but needs more options than that offers. So I hope Bob can find a solution that will work for him be it a larger battery or a new option that is not available yet.

We're drifting off topic a bit but I used said option to monitor a single specific talkgroup all the time - I could program 500+ talkgroups to be monitored one at a time if I want. And, over just this past weekend, I scanned a P25 system running on this battery (below) from approx 4pm until approx 9am the next day (at least 17 hours)...

Attachments

• batts.jpg
    batts.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,580

SCPD

QRT
Case

WOW!!! I had no idea it was that much larger that it would stick out like that.

How in the heck are we supposed to find a decent case for the radio with that Quasimodo Hump ?

Hey you know maybe that's why there is no case available from uniden for the sds-100 to date, I sure hope they make a case for both the small and larger batteries.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes Troy hahaha we are very aware of that option to sit on one TG and we have them too. I kind of was hoping for a radio that would let me monitor the few P2 talk groups and let me listen to Marine Channel 13 and 16 and the New Jersey State Police Marine police not to mention Amtrak local police but that was too much to hope for as with the SDS 100 there will be too many missed transmissions on that 1 P2 talk group I need... Yes Buddy you know my situation but I was just hoping for that perfect solution but right now it's the apx 7000. And guys is far as being off-topic we are in the tavern and I'll make the point again, Uniden should simply make an announcement on the nip it in the bud thread giving us a new date of release. Having a stronger battery will not make my radio work better but it will last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.