Bc 200 Xlt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiao_Su

Hey, my grandpa died and I inherited a lot of stuff from him. I got a BC 200 XLT scanner from it. It looks like it's in good shape, but the antenna and the charge plug for the battery aren't here.

Is there a way I could buy them from somewhere?

Would this scanner work effectively again?

byndhlptom

Bc200xlt

Sir

The 200xlt is a solid scanner. It will not do trunking, but is a great analog scanner.

You can try any of the replacement BNC style antennas. If I remember correctly, the ac adapter was 12v, 200-400 mA, with a center positive connector. I believe that you can still download a manual on the Uniden web site, althought the programing is pretty intuitive for the 200. The battery pack is probably not too healty by now, but is easy to rebuild (I believe that it's 5 AA cell....)

Enjoy scanning, but be aware that there are reports of it being addictive....

tom

Sorry to hear about your recent loss. :(

A grandpa is a very important person and is a great loss. please accept my sincere condolences.

For your inherited scanner, it will be very useful to you if your area has lots of analog activity. When you are well into the scanner addiction, you may want to look at a BCD396T for your digital needs.

HTH,

byndhlptom

bc200xlt

Sir:

1) If trunking is new term to you, I would suggest spending some time in the wiki. There are excellent references there for the new scannist.

2) ScannerMaster (a sponsored site), any of the online Ham (amatuer radio) sites, or even a Radio Shack should have several antenna options. The frequencies that you want to monitor may influence the choice of an optimum antenna. As a start, a used 2meter ham antenna will get you started.

3) the database will have listings for you location (state/county/city). They will give you an idea of what's in your area to monitor. The State forums are a good place to ask about local scanning. Asking at a local RS store can be an iffy proposition, as the level of knowledge of the staff is spotty at best.

good luck

tom

ps: sorry for your loss.....

Jiao_Su

Yeah, thanks for all the information and stuff.

Are there any suitable scanners that are any cheaper than the BCD396T?

Is this one any good?

HTML:
http://www.unidendirect.com/itemdetail.cfm?item=BC246T&tabid=1

Status
Not open for further replies.