BC 796 stops scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
My 796 has developed a new problem, it will stop scanning for no reason after a few hours and lock onto the same channel. any clues ? I have dumped scanner and started over to see if that helps but no luck I used butel to program it

Mike

Viper43

Sounds like:
1: it's getting a transmission that could be an image or too weak for you to hear it. Does it occur around the same time of day? if so it could be an automatic data transfer thats interfereing or it could be a ham operator who's on the same time every day.

2: if it is sporadic it could be hardware related where something heats up in the scanner and it stops until it cools. but thats pretty rare and highly doubtful.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Viper43 said:
Sounds like:
2: if it is sporadic it could be hardware related where something heats up in the scanner and it stops until it cools. but thats pretty rare and highly doubtful.
Actually I like this possibility best from the limited data provided. It may well be that after a while a component is changing value from heat, just enough to allow a birdie to lock that same channel. A good test is wait until it does it then turn a fan on the radio to cool it down and see if it goes back to scanning after a few minutes. I would say use circuit cooler but that would require keeping the cover off, so unless you know your way around, don't try that.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
The Radio System from Hell AKA Phoenix Regional Wireless Network also used to cause this to happen on BC796's - something about it sending out a bogus talkgroup and frequency assignment every once in a while, like "317058 on 851.0375Mhz" or something like that. The system still does this but thankfully Uniden released a firmware update that told the scanner to resume scanning when that happens.

Gotta ask the obvious: Have you applied the latest firmware updates to your scanner? Latest available is version 3.29. Couldn't hurt to apply it if not.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.