BC125AT fried RF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4TTR

I have a BC125AT which I've enjoyed using for scanning local analog and bands for several weeks. I use an HT with a mag mount 2m antennae and after getting some BNC connectors for quick disconnect, foolishly plugged the 2m antennae into the BNC connector on the scanner.

I sensed more than saw it peg the RF signal meter, and the scanner has had very limited reception since.

Did I fry the RF front end? I have a new BC355N coming for my mobile go pack, so I'll be up and running with the new scanner soon enough. I'm a bit RF shy now, and also have some concern about my new base antennae installations. I bought two diamond antennaes, one scanner and a 2m vertical. They're installed about 10' apart in the attic. Do I run the same risk of burning up the scanner transmitting on 2m? My 2m radio transmits 25 watts on low, and 65 watts on high setting.

What are my options as far as getting the BC125AT repaired? Send it to Uniden service?

TIA.

dmg1969

I have a 125 also. I'm not savvy enough to know if it's fried. But, if it is...you can probably just buy a new one for the cost of repair and shipping to Uniden. I have seen them online for as low as $106 on reputable websites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N8IAA

I have a BC125AT which I've enjoyed using for scanning local analog and bands for several weeks. I use an HT with a mag mount 2m antennae and after getting some BNC connectors for quick disconnect, foolishly plugged the 2m antennae into the BNC connector on the scanner.

I sensed more than saw it peg the RF signal meter, and the scanner has had very limited reception since.

Did I fry the RF front end? I have a new BC355N coming for my mobile go pack, so I'll be up and running with the new scanner soon enough. I'm a bit RF shy now, and also have some concern about my new base antennae installations. I bought two diamond antennaes, one scanner and a 2m vertical. They're installed about 10' apart in the attic. Do I run the same risk of burning up the scanner transmitting on 2m? My 2m radio transmits 25 watts on low, and 65 watts on high setting.

What are my options as far as getting the BC125AT repaired? Send it to Uniden service?

TIA.

If the radio is covered under warranty, send it in. I believe that Uniden charges $50 to look at the radio, and sometimes that is the only charge. If you are using a 'T' BNC for disconnect, yeah, you probably fried the radio. I've never had a problem with <10 watts into antennas that are closer than a 1/2 wave in the shack. Greater than ten watts is going to do some damage.
HTH,
Larry

KK4TTR

If the radio is covered under warranty, send it in. I believe that Uniden charges $50 to look at the radio, and sometimes that is the only charge. If you are using a 'T' BNC for disconnect, yeah, you probably fried the radio. I've never had a problem with <10 watts into antennas that are closer than a 1/2 wave in the shack. Greater than ten watts is going to do some damage.
HTH,
Larry

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't use a T connector and key the mic into the scanner :) I just plugged a mag mount 1/4 wave 2m antennae into the scanner. It doesn't seem like it should have caused any problems from distant repeaters. I'll prolly just send it in to them and let them take a look.

When my mobile scanner gets here next week, I'll go up in the attic and see what I can about increasing the vertical and horizontal separation between the two antennas. Is there anything I can use to measure the signal strength at the end of the coax in the shack? What measurement would indicate potentially harmful signals?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I didn't use a T connector and key the mic into the scanner :) I just plugged a mag mount 1/4 wave 2m antennae into the scanner. It doesn't seem like it should have caused any problems from distant repeaters.
Curious. I use a 1/4 wave antenna (Laird QWFT120) for my scanners (125AT & 396XT) and have never had this issue.

Send it in to Uniden. At worst, you'll be out $50 but it's still better than buying a new 125AT.

KK4TTR

Thanks for the feedback. It's been tough without a scanner, and I've figured out I don't need DCS/CTCSS since my radio will decode and display the tone. I'm thinking about getting BC75XLT in addition to the BC355N mobile that will be here this week. I don't want to get caught without one again.

I'll send the BC125AT back for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.