BC246T: BC246T and Bell Fleetnet system in Ontario, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsqlchU

Premium Subscriber
This is getting very frustrating. Is there something I'm missing about this programming? I REALLY didn't expect this much trouble. I hope somebody can help me with this. Does my BC246T receive Motorola Type II Smartzone? Is there another name for it? In my manual it says MOT Type II is 800 or 900 MHz but the system frequencies at RR are all in the 140-155 range. Isn't that VHF? Can somebody explain this? What options do I use when programming this into my scanner? Am I supposed to program in Primary and Alternate control channels, if so where?
I'm close to doing some first hand observations of the flight qualities of a Uniden BC246T scanner.

Last edited:

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
That scanner is an analog trunk tracking scanner. So yes it will scan a Motorola Type II Smartzone system, as long as it's not encrypted. See RR System Compatibility for a complete list of what this radio works with.

It would be helpful if you provide a link to the system(s) you want to program.

N8IAA

This is getting very frustrating. Is there something I'm missing about this programming? I REALLY didn't expect this much trouble. I hope somebody can help me with this. Does my BC246T receive Motorola Type II Smartzone? Is there another name for it? In my manual it says MOT Type II is 800 or 900 MHz but the system frequencies at RR are all in the 140-155 range. Isn't that VHF? Can somebody explain this? What options do I use when programming this into my scanner? Am I supposed to program in Primary and Alternate control channels, if so where?
I'm close to doing some first hand observations of the flight qualities of a Uniden BC246T scanner.

If you are trying to listen to the OPP, you won't be able to since they have a Digital TGID. You may want post in the Ontario provincial forum for better help.
Larry

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Anyway...

Can you try just tuning to a control channel and see if you can pick It up? Assuming you're not trying to listen to a digital system you'll at least know if you're in range. If you don't hear any control channel noise then you won't hear any TGIDs either.

IsqlchU

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply. I'm trying to program the "Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1". I have so far been able to program in stuff like the CB channels and I OK with the basic parameters. It's programming the Trunking that messes me up. I really appreciate any assistance offered. Sorry if my frustration seems to appear in my wording, it's not intentional.

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply. I'm trying to program the "Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1". I have so far been able to program in stuff like the CB channels and I OK with the basic parameters. It's programming the Trunking that messes me up. I really appreciate any assistance offered. Sorry if my frustration seems to appear in my wording, it's not intentional.

That is a mixed analog and digital system (Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface). That is not good news for you. Any talkgroup that has a mode of D can not be monitored with your radio. The E mode can't be monitored by any radio.

See this post for specific details on setting up frequencies and system types.

IsqlchU

Premium Subscriber
When it says "System ID" is that another way of saying "Talk group ID"? I think that's where I'm having trouble, the terms are inconsistent.

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
No, the System ID is just a unique number(in hexadecimal, or base 16) to identify that particular radio system. It has nothing to do with any other ID or mode.

On that page, scroll down to the "System Talkgroups" section. There is a column labeled "Mode". That is where you can determine which talkgroups are analog or digital, or encrypted. Hover your mouse over the "Mode" for a list of other types. You can ignore all the Hex numbers.

IsqlchU

Premium Subscriber
I programmed in the primary and the secondary control frequencies and all I hear is that jackhammer sound...means they're digital TGIDs, right?

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
I programmed in the primary and the secondary control frequencies and all I hear is that jackhammer sound...means they're digital TGIDs, right?
I'm not sure if that radio mutes digital or encrypted talkgroups. If it doesn't, then you will hear nothing but garbage. You can tap the L/O key twice to lock those IDs from being scanned again. If you tap it once, it will only temporarily lock out. They will unlock when you power cycle the radio.

IsqlchU

Premium Subscriber
Another member gave me these instructions:

program system
new system
mot
vhf
confirm
edit system option
edit band plan
band plan 1
input base freq
select step
offset
band plan 2, input base, 151.73, offset, 579
band plan 3, input base,154.32, offset 632
go back to set freqs and put in the tower closet to you
control channel only should be set to on (i think its automatic)
hit scan and hope for the best

I did all of that. Should I be on ID scan or search?

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
ID Scan mode will only scan for TGIDs that you have programed into the radio, and aren't locked out.

ID Search mode will scan everything you have programed, as well as TGIDs that are not programed in the radio by you. Locked out TG's are ignored here as well. You don't have to program an ID to lock it out. This is useful for finding new TGID's that aren't listed in the RR database.

IsqlchU

Premium Subscriber
Well, I hear nothing. I think I'll call it a night. Hey, I really appreciate your help. I'll figure this stuff out...eventually.
May your antenna act twice as big as it is!
Thanks!

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

If you are stopped on the control channel (and not scanning for IDs), that "jackhammer" sound will be 24/7. That is the system data that controls active groups, registrations, etc. Even 100% analog trunked systems will have that sound on the *control channel*.
If you are scanning for IDs and it stops and all you hear is that, then it is digital and/or encrypted.

Hit_Factor

OK. I see. The "mode" is "D". Guess I'm SOL for hearing them. Now I gotta get a digital scanner.

I used a PSR-500 in Ontario for several years, OPP was my main interest. It worked very well and there were several PSR-500's for sale in the classifieds last time I checked. (around $280-$300)

I could send you a Win500 file to get you started if you go that direction.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've deleted several off topic posts in this thread. Let's stay on topic and focused on helping the OP out.

Isqlchu, I've edited the title to something more descriptive. Please try to use a more descriptive title next time. Thanks.

BTW, there's a thread in the Ontario forum which details how to program a 396T up for Fleetnet. However, as other have said, you've got an analog scanner which will only pickup the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Transport.

Thanks.

Last edited:

IsqlchU

Premium Subscriber
Hey, thanks Mike. This is a rather steep learning curve, both the scanner and this site. Most people are very helpful and all good intentioned. I guess I will look into a digital scanner and believe this will all make sense as I go. WOW, I really didn't expect scanners to be so complicated.
Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.