BC246T (New guy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mully95

I have a Uniden BC60XLT that I have had about ten years. I just purchased a BC246T and have not received it yet but was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should expect going from conventional to trunking? I will more than likely program the scanner using the frequency's I have until I understand the trunking capabilities.

Thanks.

Highpockets

mully95 said:
I have a Uniden BC60XLT that I have had about ten years. I just purchased a BC246T and have not received it yet but was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should expect going from conventional to trunking? I will more than likely program the scanner using the frequency's I have until I understand the trunking capabilities.

Thanks.

Look at this link, it will give you some frequencies and trunked systems in your area.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2316

It may help you decide what scanner you may want to purchase, some talk groups in Palmetto trunked system are digital, also some encrypted. I hope this don't confuse you.

CLTX11

Also consider getting programming software, it will make it alot easier. I attempted to try and program it without software and it will take forever, pushing buttons over and over doesn't do it for me.

You shouldn't have to many problems, just read the link posted by the other user. Arc246 offers a demo to use so many times, try it, if you like it and program that thing every so often when you travel purchase it.

mully95

Highpockets,

I was looking at that last night and found out I have a lot to learn about trunked systems. I realize that digital is the way to go but I can't fit one of those in the budget yet. LOL!

CLTX11,

I was really thinking of programming myself until I looked at the owners manual online for the BC246T and I said to myself that it isn't going to be that easy.

Ok I will check it out. Arc246 is a member on here or a company?

Highpockets

mully95 said:
Highpockets,

I was looking at that last night and found out I have a lot to learn about trunked systems. I realize that digital is the way to go but I can't fit one of those in the budget yet. LOL!

I know what you mean about the money, I've been saving for 6 months, just about there for what I need to get a new scanner. There is some good info in the wiki section here, you may have read it already, if not check them out. What ever scanner you decide to purchase, good luck with it, and enjoy the hobby. The South Carolina forum will be helpful also, looks like some helpful guys there. Good Luck!

captclint

Mentor
mully95 said:
Arc246 is a member on here or a company?
My favorite is ARC246 by BuTel. It allows a automatic download of any or all frequencies in your county and state from this site, and sets up trunking TGID's & para's(this is a big help). It is $40, but well worth it. It has a neat virtual control panel that works your scanner from the keyboard., but the best part is that it logs all the information(freq & PL) and lets you see your scanner window in a much larger scale that you can actually see clearly. The logging is great when searching, but it is also handy for normal scanning. Often, I do not look up in time to see what agency was just talking, so I just look at the log. See the the examples on their web site http://www.butelsoftware.com/ You can download it on a free trial basis to see if you like it. There are also free programs, such as FreeSCAN, that do the same thing.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Mully95-
I would also suggest reading over the following site:
http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/246/246.html
I have had a 246T in my collection for a few years now...great little analog scanner!
Oh and BTW: My great-grandfather was mayor of Anderson and I still have family that lives in the area...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

mully95

Highpockets said:
I know what you mean about the money, I've been saving for 6 months, just about there for what I need to get a new scanner. There is some good info in the wiki section here, you may have read it already, if not check them out. What ever scanner you decide to purchase, good luck with it, and enjoy the hobby. The South Carolina forum will be helpful also, looks like some helpful guys there. Good Luck!

I have already purchased the BC246T but it has not been shipped yet. I got it for $163 so it's not a whole bunch of money but it will definetly be a upgrade from what I have. May I ask what scanner you have in mind?

I saw the SC forum and will make way over there.

Highpockets

mully95 said:
I have already purchased the BC246T but it has not been shipped yet. I got it for $163 so it's not a whole bunch of money but it will definetly be a upgrade from what I have. May I ask what scanner you have in mind?

I saw the SC forum and will make way over there.

Well, as fast as digital is taking over, I'm looking at a base, either the bcd996t or the psr600 by gre. Hand held is not for me bcd396t or psr500, both get high marks by the guys here (& girls). I'm still not sure which one I want though, waiting to see what the uniden upgrade is all about, then I will decide and buy!

mully95

capt_clint said:
My favorite is ARC246 by BuTel. It allows a automatic download of any or all frequencies in your county and state from this site, and sets up trunking TGID's & para's(this is a big help). It is $40, but well worth it. It has a neat virtual control panel that works your scanner from the keyboard., but the best part is that it logs all the information(freq & PL) and lets you see your scanner window in a much larger scale that you can actually see clearly. The logging is great when searching, but it is also handy for normal scanning. Often, I do not look up in time to see what agency was just talking, so I just look at the log. See the the examples on their web site http://www.butelsoftware.com/ You can download it on a free trial basis to see if you like it. There are also free programs, such as FreeSCAN, that do the same thing.

Thanks for info! Also KE4ZNR.

Man this just keeps mushrooming and I havn't got the scanner in hand yet. LOL.

mully95

Highpockets said:
Well, as fast as digital is taking over, I'm looking at a base, either the bcd996t or the psr600 by gre. Hand held is not for me bcd396t or psr500, both get high marks by the guys here (& girls). I'm still not sure which one I want though, waiting to see what the uniden upgrade is all about, then I will decide and buy!

I looked at the bcd996t and the psr600. Out of the two I really like the bcd996t.

And out of the handheld I like the (you guested it) bcd396t.

mully95

Well I got my bc246t today and just about ready to put it in the box and send it back!

I can't get it to work with my computer. I plug it in the BUS port and it will not "plug and play" keeps asking to install the CD to download. I went to Uniden site and downloaded what thought would work. Tried to use Freescan and I can't get it to work either.

Any suggestions?

JHVH-1

The scanner only comes with the serial cable, so theres no drivers to install if that is what you are using.
You need some kind of software, and to select the serial port in the setup for that. Then you can download or upload configurations (I made a backup file before I changed anything incase I want to revert to factory settings easily).

So you need either the ARC246 software mentioned, freescan, or bctool. There are links on the wiki page for the scanner for them.

n2mdk

OK first off what cable are you using the one that comes with the scanner is a serial cable.
What do you mean by BUS port?

mully95

When I try to upload the system (my Conventional frequencies) from FreeSCAN to the scanner I get "FreeSCAN has detected an invalid COM port. Please select another COM port."

mully95

JHVH-1 said:
The scanner only comes with the serial cable, so theres no drivers to install if that is what you are using.
You need some kind of software, and to select the serial port in the setup for that. Then you can download or upload configurations (I made a backup file before I changed anything incase I want to revert to factory settings easily).

So you need either the ARC246 software mentioned, freescan, or bctool. There are links on the wiki page for the scanner for them.

I have both a USB cable and a serial cable. I'll try the serial cable. (update) I don't have anyway of connecting the serial cable.

I have FreeSCAN on my computer with a system ready to upload.

Last edited:

n2mdk

With the USB cable plugged in, open Windows Device Manager look under Ports and see what COM port number the computer assigned the cable. That number has to be put into the software.
Also in the scanner the Xfer PC Control has to be turned on and the baud rate set in scanner and software.

n2mdk

It's not a USB device so the driver isn't installed correctly. The cable must show up in Ports with a COM port number or there will be no way to use it.
Is the cable the Uniden USB-1 Cable or is it a USB Serial adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.