Bc340crs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf87120

I am new to the scanner area, so please forgive my negligence. I was wondering how I would be able to monitor aircraft in the area or passing over. I already have my frequencies programmed for my county as far as the usual police fire etc. Most likely I will need a better scanner right? I also own a Yaesu VR-500 which is very difficult to use or program.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

nanZor

Your 340crs will do just fine for VHF airband monitoring!

I'd dedicate a bank just to airband, and not put it in with the others. Airband communications can be frequent, but short in length, so if you are scanning 50 channels or more at one shot, you could miss some comms. Note that in your area, the fields are mostly un-towered using ctaf/unicom frequencies rather than dedicated tower freqs. You may also not hear them when on the ground.

Your best bet is to go to:

AirNav: KUNU - Dodge County Airport

Look for the Unicom/CTAF frequencies. Also look for the Approach / Departure frequencies. At the bottom of the page, you'll see other nearby airports. Go to them and plug in those ctaf/unicom and other approach/departures. KUNU's ctaf/unicom is 122.700. Watertown's is 122.800 but there are more!

This should give you a good start. Plug in the unofficial 123.450 air-air freq.

You've got a very nice selection of local municipal airports to listen to AND to visit! Seems like KUNU was a great stopping point for those going to Oshkosh...

I also notice that you have a few private landing strips without any listed freqs - so you may want to search or inquire as to what those freqs are later on...

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

Just a side note - if you are only using the telescopic whip that is included with most base Uniden's, be sure to extend it fully for vhf airband. For some reason, Uniden's telescopic whip is just about the perfect length for vhf air.

Of course a better antenna helps, but wanted to make sure that if you are using the standard telescopic, to extend it fully for airband.

Status
Not open for further replies.