BC350c

Status
Not open for further replies.

how2fish

OK, I have seen some trunking questions in here, but I am not clear about the answers. I have a BC350c which is able to scan 800 MHz non-trunked freqs.

Now the way I see it, just because "groups" are trunked doesn't mean that I can't pick them up by programming in the frequencies that are used? Right???

I live in Scott City, KS. So the traffic here is very low. If Fire goes out on a call, as long as I have the four freqs programmed in, I should be able to hear them when they talk...right?

When our system first went to this:

Kansas Statewide Interoperable Communication System (KSICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies

MODOC: 851.8375, 852.4625, 852.725, 852.975, 853.400, 853.8625

I realize two of these are control freqs, but so what? I mean the others are listed.

Important note: when our system was being converted, we had only one freq at the beginning. I was able to listen just fine, and it was "trunked". Now that we have all four freqs, I can't hear a thing.

I just don't get it. Any info might be of help. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Howard

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Short answer: yes, you can listen to the voice channels on a non-trunking radio like the BC-350C provided they are not encrypted or digital. Because of how trunking works, though, it might be a bit hard to follow a particular conversation or talkgroup since it can be assigned to any frequency at any time (and other things will show up on any given channel too).

Not sure if you're asking if you can, or you have them programmed and aren't hearing anything.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hardly. You might want to consider keeping any analog fire conventional freqs handy, as well as your local Skywarn repeaters. As we saw just recently with the recent tornado outbreaks early warning is vital to saving lives. Granted that 35 people dying is tragic - no argument there - but it could have easily been much much worse without tornado sirens and early warning.

You give up entirely too easily :.>>

best regards Mike

N8IAA

Thanks David,

So basically, there is no need to own a scanner. I guess I'll give that little hobby up.

As Mike posted, your county frequencies are still conventional. Your county isn't on the Kansas digital system. The only county that has encryption, is Finley. You may want to purchase a digital scanner from RS. They are going pretty cheap. I just love doom sayers:roll: But, as Mike says, check in the Kansas forum to see what is available for you to scan with your 350.
HTH,
Larry

how2fish

Thanks Larry and Mike,

I am a bit confused. If it is not digital, then why am I not able to hear communication. I plug in the freqs that they use, and they seem to be detected when they are talking, but I hear nothing. There isn't enough traffic in Scott City, KS to worry about not being able to follow them from one freq to another any more than conventional issues with the VHF freqs.

If it is digital, what are the chances of them going encrypted. I really don't want to buy a scanner that won't be able to scan what the entire police/fire/EMS are going to switch to.

I know for a fact that the police have purchased some more 800 hand held radios. I know the Fire dept has applied for their own group on the 800 along with the police. So it is just a matter of time when they will totally switch over. And if the encrypt, well then that's that.

As for weather alerts, I have a small radio for that.

Basically, I am on the Fire/EMS and if I am driving around in the county, and a call comes in (Say traffic accident), I like to be able to know what is going on before I get there. Scanners have been the primary means that I have used for 10 years. Now it is getting much more difficult.

Thanks for all your help guys. I just hope Mike and Larry are right.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You've said absolutely nothing about the other part of this equation; the antenna. A little stick whip antenna is really good for stuff nearby - maybe a mile or two, even in flat terrain - but beyond that, nada.

Likely as not, as long as those freqs are still being used (and I would encourage you - again - to check in with the good folks in the Kansas forum) then a better antenna is called for. If they have moved to KSICS, sometimes the area that has moved shuts down their conventional stuff, except perhaps for one or two dispatch channels. In that case a database update is called for.

But we're all shooting in the dark here. The folks in the Kansas forum are likely to have the straight scoop - we're not there so it's virtually impossible to be certain about the answer. Local folks are the best source of local information, plain and simple

best regards...Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.