BC796D with Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
Ok, Going to trying again.

Can't seem to get my Dell w/ Vista 32bit to communicate with our BC796D using a RS-232 to USB(RS/gigaware 26-949) I have tried every configuration on the driver and the two do not want to talk to each other, no matter what software. Made sure i had all updated drivers. I also tried(advised)using a Null Modem. still nothing. I check Firmware Verison on the Scanner and its at 3.29 and I want to get to the 3.60. Someone give me an idea on what to do please.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another issue to check for is in Device Manager - did the USB software allocate a COM port that was already taken up by something like a Blackberry or USB loaded cameras (it's generally not very smart that way - it won't check to see if the port is already being used...).

Something else - did you get the right drivers for Vista? XP drivers on a Vista system may not work well....73 Mike

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
Another issue to check for is in Device Manager - did the USB software allocate a COM port that was already taken up by something like a Blackberry or USB loaded cameras (it's generally not very smart that way - it won't check to see if the port is already being used...).

Something else - did you get the right drivers for Vista? XP drivers on a Vista system may not work well....73 Mike

No com port conflicts, i even reassigned it a higher number to get it away from everything. Still nothing.

Driver was supplied on disk, and I also search web to assure that i had the latest and greatest.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Ok, Going to trying again.

Can't seem to get my Dell w/ Vista 32bit to communicate with our BC796D using a RS-232 to USB(RS/gigaware 26-949) I have tried every configuration on the driver and the two do not want to talk to each other, no matter what software. Made sure i had all updated drivers. I also tried(advised)using a Null Modem. still nothing. I check Firmware Verison on the Scanner and its at 3.29 and I want to get to the 3.60. Someone give me an idea on what to do please.

This is what I would do:
1) Take out the null modem adapter.
2) Note the Device Manager comm. port assignment of the USB adapter.
3) Go to the scanner menu PC control and change the baud rate to 57600 bps.
4) Set the software to the same port number as the Device Manager port assignment and the baud rate to 57600.

Software should be communicating now.

Last edited:

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
Here is what I would do.
1) Take out the null modem adapter.
2) Note the Device Manager comm. port assignment of the USB adapter.
3) Go to the scanner menu PC control and change the baud rate to 57600 bps.
4) Set the software to the same port number as the Device Manager port assignment and the baud rate to 57600.

Software should be communicating now.

Also tried that too...Setting both at the same speed. I have tried with and with out the null modem. I also have attempted at different speeds (keep all at the same).

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yeap,,,tried that too....it is frustrating

May want to disable and enable the port in the Device Manager. Check if the comm port number changed and change it to the same in the software.

What about the cable? They can go bad. Check the pins 2 & 3 are not pushed in. If it's new, exchange it at the retailer for another.

Check the scanner port pins 2 & 3 too.

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
May want to disable and enable the port in the Device Manager. Check if the comm port number changed and change it to the same in the software.

What about the cable? They can go bad. Check the pins 2 & 3 are not pushed in. If it's new, exchange it at the retailer for another.

Check the scanner port pins 2 & 3 too.

Well a little update. You got me thinking. I remembered when I tried to set up the scanner in to programing mode(6,l/o and scan) with the gigaware RS232 to USB cable (which is new) hooked up and the screen would come up black (no back light on or anything). I have a RS232 to RS232 cable and tried it with that, it goes in programming mode.

Have you ran into that and do you know what the box is on the cable?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Well a little update. You got me thinking. I remembered when I tried to set up the scanner in to programing mode(6,l/o and scan) with the gigaware RS232 to USB cable (which is new) hooked up and the screen would come up black (no back light on or anything). I have a RS232 to RS232 cable and tried it with that, it goes in programming mode.

Have you ran into that and do you know what the box is on the cable?

I haven’t seen this problem.

The scanner backlight should light up and if it doesn't then may be there's a short in the cable.

How are you connecting the RS232 to RS232 cable to the computer?
Does it work with this cable? Port assignment will be different if not using a USB adapter. The box on the USB adapter cable? It makes a real rs-232 port from the USB bus.

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
I haven’t seen this problem.

The scanner backlight should light up and if it doesn't then may be there's a short in the cable.

How are you connecting the RS232 to RS232 cable to the computer?
Does it work with this cable? Port assignment will be different if not using a USB adapter. The box on the USB adapter cable? It makes a real rs-232 port from the USB bus.

I agree it should. lol I dont have the cable hook to the computer, just to the scanner.

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
Well going to see if I can find another cable or adapter...so we well see....I'll keep you updated. Hopefully it will easy my bruising........

Thank you Bob.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Well going to see if I can find another cable or adapter...so we well see....I'll keep you updated. Hopefully it will easy my bruising........

Thank you Bob.

ok. It does sound like the cable is shorted loading down the scanner's power.

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
Well Lastest Update...New Cable..and still getting error from Uniden software and the Arc250 doen't even recongize it...I checked scanner and its set at 19200.

Attachments

• Scanner Error.JPG
    Scanner Error.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Rabbitiswise

Premium Subscriber
Well another update...On the old computer and with bearcat software, i can do menu control but no other connection and i get a contaction error...

rvictor

Perhaps some clarification would be helpful.

Since the manual indicates that the null modem adapter is only for use when you are cloning one scanner to another, have you made the various attempts without the null modem adapter?

If you are using a serial to USB adapter, did you install the driver for that adapter before connecting the cable to the computer?

Have you tried the serial cable on a computer with a real serial port?

You said that you tried a new cable. Did you try a new/different serial to USB adapter? If so, did you uninstall the previously installed driver and install the driver for the new adapter?

It seems to me that this info would help us help you work through the problem.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.