BCD 396t & BCD996T USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajun945

anyone using the USB cable from radio shack? i got one today from radio shack for my 396 & 996 and its not working,,, using vista
can anyone help me out ??

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A couple of obvious questions; did you download the latest drivers from the website, and did you select an open COM port? Take a look in Device Manager and see if the COM port you think is available really is.

73 Mike

cajun945

i didnt see any Drivers?? it is showing com port 3 in the software...
the software came with drivers not sure what ones i need to download tho?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is unusual, but not impossible, for the cable to be assigned to COM 3. You would need the drivers specifically for the USB cable you purchased. Not sure what you mean by "the software came with drivers." What software? None of the software I know of comes bundled with USB drivers.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, you should probably use the "Vista" drivers off of the CD. When you open Device manager, when you plug in and unplug the cable, you should see the device appear and disappear. If it isn't appearing as a COM port, you need to go into its properties (when plugged in), select "UPDATE DRIVERS", then point the computer to the appropriate file or directory on the CD.

If it does appear as a COM port, confirm which COM port it is being assigned to and ensure that is the one you are selecting in whichever software you are using.

n2mdk

It would be helpful to know which cable your talking about. Do you mean a USB to serial adapter or what. I hope you don't mean this cable even thoug it's shown under Accessories on the RS website. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2177609
The best way to tell is open Windows Device Manager look under Ports with the cabe plugged in it should show the COM port # unplug the cable if it disappears and comes back when you plug it in, you have the proper COM port for the software.

n2mdk

Wrong cable for the Uniden scanners it simply won't work there is no way to connect it to the scanner. Return it and get a USB to serial adapter or the Uniden USB-1 cable. I feel the USB to serial adapter is a better deal since it can be used for other purposes. The cable that comes with the scanners works fine with the adapters.

cajun945

yes the cable that came with the scanner does not work with my computer .... i have a 15pin on my computer and a 9pin that came with the scanner

pogbobo

Status
Not open for further replies.