BCD325P2 and GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschurman

I just recently bought a Bearcat BCD325P2 scanner. I was able to get all of the systems I currently want programmed into my scanner and I am up and scanning now. This scanner is listed as a GPS compatible scanner. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1390 GPS, I am wondering if it is possible to connect this GPS to my scanner and use it instead of purchasing a GPS puck.

Any help would be appreciated.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If your existing GPS device has a means for outputting NEMA 4800, then yes. You'll need to get the matching cables.

My first GPS devices were Garmin units in the Legend series.

cschurman

I am illiterate when it comes to these sorts of things....How do I know if the device can output NEMA 4800?? If it does, what would the matching cable be?

marksmith

I am illiterate when it comes to these sorts of things....How do I know if the device can output NEMA 4800?? If it does, what would the matching cable be?
That GPS has no output. You need to get a GPS that can output via cable. It will cost you about $80 with the cable.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That will usually be mentioned in the technical specifications. Just taking a quick look on Google, it appears that this unit does not do that.

I'm happy with the Uniden GPS puck. It connects to a 12V power point, so no battery charging issues and the correct cables are supplied.

cschurman

Okay, thank you guys for your help on that! My next question, what is the gains to using a GPS?? If I use one, does it automatically scan freqs based on my location? Do I need to have anything programmed for this to work....I just got into listening to scanners and I am trying to decide if the GPS is worth it for me or not. I do a fair amount of driving back and forth to two different places. One is about an hour south of me and the other is about an hour and a half north. If I have a GPS to use would this keep me from having to program those areas into my scanner and I just hook that up to scan?

Thank you guys for your help, I hope my questions aren't too stupid!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You'll still have to program all the "stuff" you wish to monitor. The GPS device will tell your scanner where you are. From there it turns on the "stuff" that is appropriate to the area.

It is a very handy feature for those traveling. I consider a GPS an essential piece of equipment for mobile scanning beyond my home area.

cschurman

So essentially the biggest gain is I wouldn't have to manually go into my scanner and lock out certain sites when I am traveling. Or have sites, that I know i couldn't pick up at home, being scanned?

marksmith

So essentially the biggest gain is I wouldn't have to manually go into my scanner and lock out certain sites when I am traveling. Or have sites, that I know i couldn't pick up at home, being scanned?
For the 325 that is the correct answer, since it can't scan anything not programmed into the radio.

For radios with a full database in them, it will obviously do more.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

cschurman

Thank you for your help and your responses! this has helped me understand the GPS side of scanning a lot better. I think I am going to hold off on getting something like that for this point in time. I don't travel enough to worry about it to much. I never realized there is so much that one needs to learn about scanning for police, fire, and ems. My parents always had a scanner we used at the race tracks to pick up the car to pit audio and I assumed it was just a matter of typing the freqs in like we did there. I now know there is alot more to it after doing research and spending 10-12 hours of trial and error trying to get my scanner programmed!

Thanks for the help!!!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you aren't traveling much, I'd suggest you consider assigning System Quick Keys. That way with just a few short button presses, you can turn things on and off as desired.

cschurman

I currently scan all 3 of my programmed systems since they are all in the area I live in. To set the quick keys I go to the systems options and set it. Then when it is set whenever I push the quick key that corresponds to a system it locks it, and if i push it again it unlocks it, correct?

If this is the case I might do some more reading up on the quick keys and programming some more areas into my scanner. so that way whenever I am out and about it is easy for me to switch certain ones on and off.

cschurman

Sweet, I am going to look into doing that! I appreciate your help, there is so much more to this scanning thing than I thought! Thank god there are forums like this to help people out!

One final question, I frequently go on motorcycle trips and we are usually staying in tents....I know when I first opened up my scanner and started playing around with it, I was picking up a few radio stations here and there...If I am on a trip and don't know any stations, how can I get it to pick up those with out programming anything? Do I just need to go into the quick search and find them there?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You may want to look in your manual under Service Search to see if that is what you are looking for. I can't remember if this comes with a printed manual, but you can Google for the electronic version and download it. Then using your PDF viewer you can enter search terms. Pretty helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.