BCD396T GPS Location-Based Scanning Capable

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Someone at a local ham radio store that the Unided BCD396T can do GPS location-based scanning. He said it requires aftermarket software and cable, and it can be done.

I cannot find this on the web. Has anyone heard of this or know how to do it? If so, could you provide links, please.

Thanks.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've not heard of any aftermarket software that allows for this. You'd also have to have a PC or other controller in the mix to do anything like this with a BCD396T. The BCD396XT will have the capability built in. Maybe he was mixing up the models...?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Never heard of it either

Also the BCD996T does it (with an optional GPS), again maybe he mixed up the models.

Or maybe was thinking of bandscope (requires cable and optional software).

slicerwizard

Someone at a local ham radio store that the Unided BCD396T can do GPS location-based scanning. He said it requires aftermarket software and cable, and it can be done.
If it requires software (on a laptop PC), then the 396T can't do location-based scanning - the laptop software is doing it. By that standard, 246T's, etc. can also do location-based scanning.

I cannot find this on the web. Has anyone heard of this or know how to do it? If so, could you provide links, please.
Software to monitor a GPS unit's NMEA serial stream and press system quick keys is about as trivial as it gets. Less than one programmer-day would be required to implememt this.

Status
Not open for further replies.